Computer still freezing! D:

Frisbee_68

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hi guys, I am still having the same problem I have been having for about 2 years. My computer will freeze randomly, all sound cuts out, and the only way to fix it (temporarily) is to restart. I have tried almost everything I could find on the Internet, to no avail. I have replaced every single part in my computer, as well as doing multiple clean boots with various operating systems. The computer will freeze even when I am at my desktop with no programs open! I don't know what to do anymore, please help!

Edit*
Here are my specs:
CPU: Intel i5-2500k (not overclocked)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 LE
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb DDR3 Desktop Memory Kit
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100
Video Card: PNY GTX560 Ti (not overclocked)
Power Supply: Corsair TX750
Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB HDD
Hard Drive 2: Western Digital 500GB HDD
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Other Parts: D-Link DWA-552 XtremeN Network Card

Frisbee_68

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
The computer freezes randomly, whether or not programs are running. I also figured out that if I leave my computer on while its frozen, after about 5-10 minutes it will return to normal and I can use it fine. There are no errors upon freezing, unfreezing, or rebooting. Yes, I have replaced every single part, including case and network card (I have hi-speed internet).

cpuz1l.png

cpuz2.png

cpuz3.png

cpuz4.png

cpuz5.png

cpuz6.png

cpuhw.png

Just jpegs I think.

That all looks pretty good.

Now, what about memtest? Use this one, running all night:
http://www.memtest.org/

So you connect wirelessly only? I ask because I have seen a wired router do this... it was sending just enough juice back through the cable to cause lockups.

I believe you are competent, but I have to ask. Given that all your parts have been replaced, how sure are you that this is not your fault? Are you confident you have not made any errors in the installation? Motherboard standoffs? Perhaps not realizing just how much force is required to seat your memory fully?

I would do the memory test first, but as GhislainG suggests breadboarding is a good plan.

Other things to consider might be strong interference from other electrical items of very bad power at the wall.

Frisbee_68

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
I am sure I installed everything correctly, no motherboard standoffs missing (or the screws either). I will try the memtest, however my motherboard already has MemOK which I have tried. With my new graphics card, the situation seems to be improving, but the occasional freeze is still present. And yes, I connect wireless only.

Then it isn't freezing; it simply is unresponsive for several seconds or minutes. As proximon mentioned, a wired Ethernet card can do that. I know that a WiFi card can also cause that type of issue. Have you tried removing the WiFi card and use the Ethernet connection (or a different WiFi card)?

A system that is unresponsive like that is waiting for something, and then responds again when the original request times out.
Check in your BIOS and in Windows' Device Manager and disable any ports you aren't using, especially network ports, IR (InfraRed) and 1394.

Frisbee_68

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Yes, I have tried various network cards, but I can't get ethernet to reach my computer (router is in basement, room is upstairs) and i cant move the router. I've already disabled all ports not in use, and i have a black drive (1tb) and a blue drive (500gb)

But you can temporarily move the computer.