How To Change Your User Name On Tom's Hardware

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Well, the story is, I once upon a time created a temporary account ^^ to ask a question and then run away, but for some strange reason, I find myself logging on here every single day/night to ask/answer questions. (addicted?)

I was just wondering if its possible to change my log-on user name.

Thanks.

justinblue

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hi,

There is no way for you to do this. If you have a compelling reason (ie extraordinary), I can do it for you. However, for obvious reasons, I don't want to get into the habit of changing people's user names just on their whim. Its a manual process for me.

Justin

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

:) It's a pretty lame username, that I had no intention of useing. I was so pee'd off that the usernames I was trying where not working, I just typed this out. With a 1. :) I think you need to go into MySQL or somthing and edit the name out, it may be a bit long, but if you can, I would really appriciate it.

Regards.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Hi, yes it should do, it keeps the same user ID, just the apearing name changes. Well, at least on most forum software it is. Not sure what Tom's uses.

randomizer

Champion
I thought that the username was the ID with this software, which is why it was a pain to change. If that is the case, then changes to it would need to cascade update the database to make sure all prior posts were accounted for and each would need to be re-assigned an author accordingly.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Jesus Christ! I was going ape ***!! :D You should have told me post to doing it, I sat there for 2 hours trying every possible password to the account. Apparently the user name changed :D I clocked onto the fact after I remembered.

Blah, thanks by the way, for the name change.