Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Build Check-Up

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 6, 2011 10:13:12 PM

Hi guys, here's my build, please tell me whether or not it's compatible:

CPU:Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... *Will get an aftermarket cooler in future

Graphics Card:MSI N580GTX Lightning Xtreme Edition GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM:G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard:GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive:SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD Burner:ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU:CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case:COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition RC-942-KKN3 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Black Interior and Four Blue LED Fans-1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 200mm top fan, 1x 200mm side fan, and 1x 230mm front fan | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... *Going to install extra fans

OS:Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM | http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's pretty much my build. If you need more info, let me know please. Thanks :D  !

More about : build check

October 6, 2011 10:25:53 PM

I'm actually going to change the motherboard to a brand I trust.
m
0
l
October 6, 2011 11:19:57 PM

I swapped around my case a bit ;D.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 6, 2011 11:38:58 PM

The parts will work together. What is it for: gaming, rendering, Facebook? If it's for FB, your overdoing it...by a lot. For gaming with a single monitor, you need to make changes. For rendering, a few more changes as well.
m
0
l
October 6, 2011 11:53:24 PM

AbdullahG said:
The parts will work together. What is it for: gaming, rendering, Facebook? If it's for FB, your overdoing it...by a lot. For gaming with a single monitor, you need to make changes. For rendering, a few more changes as well.

Oh, sorry. I'm going to use it for gaming, video editing/rendering (not really alot), internet surfing (yes that includes facebook :p ), and schoolwork. I'm also going to use one monitor due to funds, and desk size. Maybe in the future, though, I will take apart some of my desk for more room.
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 12:21:39 AM

In that case, here are a few changes, but I need to know your entire budget:

I would change the CPU. The i7 2600k is great, but in terms of gaming, it's the same as the i5 2500k. HT gives a 20% in CPU performance, but that is not necessary. It's more of a want than a need, and a $100 extra doesn't justify it IMO. An i5 2500k should do you good (I use an Athlon II X4 @ 2.8GHz with an HD 6750 for my rendering work-though not too heavy-and it does very well). Most people say they will get a second card later, but they tend not to. Since you have plans for multi-monitors, get the GPUs now. Your RAM is expensive. Some cheap 8GB of 1600MHz RAM is fine. Your motherboard is a bit expensive ($200 and it's a P67 chipset; not worth it) and I heard about issues with temperatures and warranty with the Thermal Armor. Do you also need a PSU (power supply)? I'll list one anyway.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU x2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU (if needed): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MoBo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My OCD gets to me, so some parts have to match. If you fit this build into your budget, and you like it, then go ahead if you want.

m
0
l
October 7, 2011 12:35:16 AM

AbdullahG said:
In that case, here are a few changes, but I need to know your entire budget:

I would change the CPU. The i7 2600k is great, but in terms of gaming, it's the same as the i5 2500k. HT gives a 20% in CPU performance, but that is not necessary. It's more of a want than a need, and a $100 extra doesn't justify it IMO. An i5 2500k should do you good (I use an Athlon II X4 @ 2.8GHz with an HD 6750 for my rendering work-though not too heavy-and it does very well). Most people say they will get a second card later, but they tend not to. Since you have plans for multi-monitors, get the GPUs now. Your RAM is expensive. Some cheap 8GB of 1600MHz RAM is fine. Your motherboard is a bit expensive ($200 and it's a P67 chipset; not worth it) and I heard about issues with temperatures and warranty with the Thermal Armor. Do you also need a PSU (power supply)? I'll list one anyway.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU x2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU (if needed): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MoBo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My OCD gets to me, so some parts have to match. If you fit this build into your budget, and you like it, then go ahead if you want.

My budget is $2000, with a monitor. I do have a monitor selected already, though. Here's a link to it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm also probably going to go with SLI Nvidia 570's. Just preference. If I save some money on that I'll go with the CPU Cooler as well.

Ahh, read reviews on that CPU cooler. I would have to take out my 200mm fan to fit it. Maybe a smaller one would fit.
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 12:49:30 AM

I have to make a suggestion here - You have not listed a CPU cooler, though AbdullahG did. At the VERY LEAST, if that is too expensive, I must recommend at minimum a CoolerMaster Hyper212 or the new + model, as they run $20 to $30, and will be better than stock by at least 10-12 C.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 1:02:24 AM

Ok, changed the motherboard and the PSU. I'm actually thinking about the nvidia 570 vs radeon 6970... Hmmmm....
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 1:14:24 AM

That's the evo, the newer version. It's actually newer than the plus, but costs more. It supposedly improved the contact to the CPU, so time will tell, but reviews are positive.
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 1:29:42 AM

gedrean said:
That's the evo, the newer version. It's actually newer than the plus, but costs more. It supposedly improved the contact to the CPU, so time will tell, but reviews are positive.

Ok. Well, I think I'll stick with the Evo. How high do you think I could OC it (safely)?
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 1:39:19 AM

I'm going to stick to the GTX 570.
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 2:47:07 AM

Milishi said:
I'm going to stick to the GTX 570.

The GTX 570 is a great bang for the buck, but the 1.2GB of VRAM limit you in multi-monitor setups. Great performance, but limited in a way. As for the CPU cooler, the EVO is great as reviews say. You actually need an 850W PSU if you will use SLI GTX 570 and an i7 2600k if you OC it, but a 1000W PSU will give you a lot of headroom and is future proof (if you want, you can ultimately add a 3rd GTX 570 if you want).
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 12:01:03 PM

AbdullahG said:
The GTX 570 is a great bang for the buck, but the 1.2GB of VRAM limit you in multi-monitor setups. Great performance, but limited in a way. As for the CPU cooler, the EVO is great as reviews say. You actually need an 850W PSU if you will use SLI GTX 570 and an i7 2600k if you OC it, but a 1000W PSU will give you a lot of headroom and is future proof (if you want, you can ultimately add a 3rd GTX 570 if you want).

Is there even enough room on my motherboard for 3? If so then yeah, I'd add a 3rd one a couple of months later.
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 10:25:54 PM

Actually, I think I might do a 580 SLI. Buy one 580 when I make my PC, and get a second one as well as a second monitor a couple of months later. It also saves me $200 for some extras :) .
m
0
l
October 7, 2011 10:33:40 PM

Well, ok, getting a 580 :D .
m
0
l
October 8, 2011 12:55:33 AM

Will 1000W be enough to run the 580's in SLI?
m
0
l
October 8, 2011 3:26:45 AM

I'm also going to change the PSU.
m
0
l
October 8, 2011 4:10:48 AM

Milishi said:
I'm also going to change the PSU.

Save some money and get the NZXT Hale90 1000W. A 1000W is more than enough for GTX 580 SLI, and it's much cheaper and performs very well compared the AX 1200 ($70 more for 200W that will probably go to waste doesn't seem great).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
October 8, 2011 5:29:36 AM

AbdullahG said:
Save some money and get the NZXT Hale90 1000W. A 1000W is more than enough for GTX 580 SLI, and it's much cheaper and performs very well compared the AX 1200 ($70 more for 200W that will probably go to waste doesn't seem great).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hmm alright. I just wasn't sure whether or not it would be enough
m
0
l
October 8, 2011 5:42:39 PM

Oh... I also switched back to the i7 because of money saved :D .
m
0
l
October 9, 2011 5:40:45 AM

At this point the build is final. I'm just going to look for cheaper prices on the products pretty much. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice!
m
0
l
October 10, 2011 1:43:28 AM

MIK_1st said:
At this point the build is final. I'm just going to look for cheaper prices on the products pretty much. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice!

I believe you have the wrong thread. Also, if I decide to wait for the Ivy bridge CPU's, would all of the parts still work with eachother? Or would I have to change my motherboard?
m
0
l
October 10, 2011 2:25:47 AM

Oh, I'm also going to upgrade to 12GB RAM.
m
0
l
!