Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Which PCI-E connector (Antec PSU)?

Last response: in Components
January 6, 2012 6:55:54 PM

Hey guys. I recently built a new computer for myself and all has been fine and dandy (except for BF3) however something has been bugging me for how I have my video card connected to my PSU.

My psu is an Antec 550 watt modular psu with multiple +12V rails and here is a screen shot of the exact voltage ratings on the side of the PSU.

My video card (GTX 550 ti) requires 24 amps on the +12v rail. As you can see I have a +12v rail that provides 25 amps.

But I dont have my video card connected to that. Instead I connected it to a 6-pin PCI-e connector that's permanantly attached to the PSU along with the 24 atx pin and other cables.

So far I've had no problems playing video games (GTA4, Metro 2033), (except BF3 >_>) but I just want to make sure I'm not playing with fire here.
a c 87 ) Power supply
January 6, 2012 7:04:50 PM

A GTX 550 Ti doesn't require 24A. If it did then it would come with a 6pin and an 8pin connector on the card. A whole system with a GTX 550 Ti requires 24A.
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2012 7:06:40 PM

Doesn't need to be on a single rail.
Video card manufacturers are looking for total 12v output, it's for the entire system with the card, not just the card.
If that doesn't make you comfortable , on a standard triple rail configuration the pcie connectors are on 12v3.

To slow, got to make em shorter.
Related resources
January 6, 2012 7:11:29 PM

Silvune said:
A GTX 550 Ti doesn't require 24A. If it did then it would come with a 6pin and an 8pin connector on the card. A whole system with a GTX 550 Ti requires 24A.

I was just going by the system requirements written on the EVGA box for the card. It says it needs a minimum of 24 amps on the +12v rail.
January 6, 2012 7:12:50 PM

delluser1 said:
Doesn't need to be on a single rail.
Video card manufacturers are looking for total 12v output, it's for the entire system with the card, not just the card.
If that doesn't make you comfortable , on a standard triple rail configuration the pcie connectors are on 12v3.

To slow, got to make em shorter.

So even if did connect it to the 12v3 rail, it shouldn't make a difference?

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
January 6, 2012 7:23:48 PM

fuzz_buttt said:
I was just going by the system requirements written on the EVGA box for the card. It says it needs a minimum of 24 amps on the +12v rail.

your PSU has 37a on the 12v rail so you are fine. Like delluser stated your set up on the 12v splits is probably

12v1 - cpu
12v2- mobo
12v3 - gpu

as is, you won't break 275w at gaming with the GTX550ti
January 6, 2012 8:00:25 PM

Best answer selected by fuzz_buttt.
!