Which PCI-E connector (Antec PSU)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzz_buttt

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Hey guys. I recently built a new computer for myself and all has been fine and dandy (except for BF3) however something has been bugging me for how I have my video card connected to my PSU.

My psu is an Antec 550 watt modular psu with multiple +12V rails and here is a screen shot of the exact voltage ratings on the side of the PSU.
psuwattage.jpg

My video card (GTX 550 ti) requires 24 amps on the +12v rail. As you can see I have a +12v rail that provides 25 amps.

But I dont have my video card connected to that. Instead I connected it to a 6-pin PCI-e connector that's permanantly attached to the PSU along with the 24 atx pin and other cables.

So far I've had no problems playing video games (GTA4, Metro 2033), (except BF3 >_>) but I just want to make sure I'm not playing with fire here.

Doesn't need to be on a single rail.
Video card manufacturers are looking for total 12v output, it's for the entire system with the card, not just the card.
If that doesn't make you comfortable , on a standard triple rail configuration the pcie connectors are on 12v3.

To slow, got to make em shorter.

fuzz_buttt

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

I was just going by the system requirements written on the EVGA box for the card. It says it needs a minimum of 24 amps on the +12v rail.

fuzz_buttt

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

So even if did connect it to the 12v3 rail, it shouldn't make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.