Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hello,
I have a
HP Pavilion a1523w
1GB RAM
ATI Radeon xpress series 200
Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz

I have speedfan and it says my CPU is running between 120 and 156F and i just put a new layer of thermal paste on it and since i did that every once in a while i will hear a sorta beep and a click in my tower...Is my CPU going out on me?

My speedfan temps run like this

Temp1:88F
Temp2:129F
Temp3:-198
HDD0:84F
HDD1:88F

gotu308

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Ok then what about the beep and click...people say its not the hard drives that its a DRAM refresh failure..cause the beep comes every few minutes followed by a click...im stuck as to what that could be

Sounds are difficult to diagnose, unless of course, we're talking about error beeps. When you turn on your computer, or do a reboot/reset, do you hear a single POST beep? If so, does the beep you are concerned with mimic in sound to the POST beep?

As for the clicking sound, does the sound resemble the same "click" sound made when you click on a hyperlink on any given web site?

157°F is approximately 70°C, which is kind of high; however, you don't specify what your use is, nor do you mention what the system specs are. Without adequate ventilation, it isn't not uncommon to see such CPU temps, especially with high to extreme load. Please provide the following details:

1. computer is prebuilt (store bought) or custom built (built from the board up by parts you selected)
2. Case make/model (if you know it)
3. case fan make/model and quantity (if you know it)
4. What the use of the computer was when the 157°F was read/measured
5. All other components make/model (if you know them)

gotu308

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
HP Pavilion a1523w with stock cpu and heatsink...
2gb ram
Motherboard manufacturer's name: ECS RC410-M
HP/Compaq name: Asterope2-GL8E

only thing not stock is the case fan which is a 92mm led the disc drive ram and hard drive..everything else is stock still..no graphics card..im running an ATI Radeon xpress 200 series integrated..

It hits that high when im surfing the net on google chrome...

But i have gotten it down to around 140F now when i am surfing the net

Prebuilt systems are terrible at ventilation, still, for what you're running and doing, 157°F/70°C is abnormal. For simple web browsing, I would expect to see CPU temps of 50-60°C (122-140°F); the latter with bad ventilation. If the system stays at the 140°F, then there isn't too much cause for concern; however, if the system goes up to 157°F and stays there while simply web browsing, I'd double check the thermal paste application.

By the way, why did you redo the thermal paste application? and what thermal paste did you use?

I always recommend Artic Silver 5, as it has proven results. My temps went down considerably after I used AS5 when compared to the temps from the factor-applied thermal paste. Try this:

1. Remove and clean off your current thermal paste application, and then redo the application with AS5

2. Get some better performing case fans (Scythe and Noctua are among the top 5 brands in most polls/threads/reviews)

vdr369

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

simplly buy an aftermarket cooler, it will clear ur problem

if u dont familier with our friends responded to you.

:sol: :sol: :sol:

TRENDING THREADS