MSI Z77A-G45 1394 to usb fail

jayzer

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
Hi all, i need a little help from you guys
im just starting to builld my own computer and since im new i might already toasted my mobo from some reviews ive been reading all day about the plugging frontal ports

my rig for now

PSU: GS700 Corsair
Mobo: MSI Z77A-G45
RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2X4GB 1600MHZ
DVD: ASUS (i dont remember the unit name itself)
CASE: 500R Corsair

i tried to turn it on expecting to boot on the bios but failed (it turned on for 1 sec, lights on and then boom, it seems no current is supplying the board) and cant even turn it on until i reset the psu switch
and now im left with 2 questions:

1) is it possible to turn on the computer without processor and harddrive? since my i5 3570k and ssd wont be arriving until next week

2) did i toasted my mobo since i plugged the firewire cable (1394, since the 500r have the 1394) to the usb ports but didnt use it yet,i just knew that it is possible to break the mobo T.T

Can u help me guys?

these will be coming nextweek hopefully
SSD: Samsung 120G 830s
CPU: H100 Corsair
CPU: i5 3570k

Uberperson

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
I bought one of these boards, ran solid for two weeks and then just died. After it died i had the same symptoms, the pwrsupply fan/led and other fans would turn on for like .5 seconds and then it would cut off. I believe it is because the VRM on MSI boards is bad. It is currently on it's way back to Amazon.

I even replaced the psu just in case and still no-go. Probably will not go with MSI ever again. If you plan on overclocking I would avoid this board, if you just want to run default it should be fine.

jayzer

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
oh dang..i hope it wont be the same with mine..and no,im planning to oc it once i got the h100,if ill get the same prob ill get an extreme4 z77