Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX 275 Underperforming?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 5, 2011 9:13:41 PM

I've had issues with my graphics card crashing a lot even on games that a much older computer shouldn't. I reformatted last night and haven't had any issues yet, but I also haven't really tried a whole lot to make an issue as it was rather random to begin with. The issues started a while ago (got my comp from digital storm late 2009). Early last year I decided to play EQ2 and had issues with my system freezing entirely that were solved after lowering the display settings begrudgingly. I figured it was just a support thing and dealt with it. Lately, however, it has spread to more games and happens more often.

Note: After a reformat, the crashes have not happened today. I'm not sure if it's just luck or what. However, I am still not impressed with the overall performance and would like to know if the benchmark results I will provide match what my graphics card (along with my system) should be returning.

My computer stats are as follows:
My DXDiag

CPU-Z

GPU-Z:

Heaven Benchmark

I am looking to further upgrade my system, but I want to make sure it's up to snuff for the hardware already in it before I start spending money.
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2011 9:21:00 PM

Since your card isn't DX11 I don't know what to expect from the heaven benchmark, seems like it should be alot higher since it doesn't have to tesselate though.

If it's crashing under heavy load it's probably either overheating or not getting enough power.

Download Furmark and see what kind of temps you are getting when you run the stress test.
Score
August 5, 2011 9:32:23 PM

Ah. My PSU is a Corsair TX 750w. I have run Furmark as well and without doing the burn-in option, it can get up to about 80-85C. That was before I discovered the whole thing about the fan speed staying at 40% until the temp is 80+ so I installed MSI Afterburner (if there is better I'm open to suggestions) to set a user-defined profile for the fan speed. It stays a good bit below that now. When running Furmark my FPS for 1680x1050, 4x AA is 8-10. If I lower it to no AA and 1280x800 I get about 18-20 FPS. I read Furmark is purposefully intense, but this still seems pretty weak.
Score
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 5, 2011 9:49:24 PM

Furmark is only good for killing your card and is not useful in any way for gauging performance or lack thereof.
Score
August 5, 2011 10:03:08 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Furmark is only good for killing your card and is not useful in any way for gauging performance or lack thereof.

I had a feeling, which is why I didn't include the results here.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2011 10:42:11 PM

It's the temps from furmark that are meaningful, not how many FPS you get. It's not a real benchmark, it's just to see if your card can cool itself under load.

I use afterburner as well, it's a great program so I wouldn't recomend anything else.

When I disable SLI and run on a single GTX 465 with your settings I'm getting roughly 3-4 times your FPS in both heaven and furmark, so I think something is wrong with your card.
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2011 10:51:59 PM

Mousemonkey said:

Furmark is Dr. Kevorkian. It only kills cards that have terminal illnesses :p 

Score
August 6, 2011 12:17:17 AM

benski said:

When I disable SLI and run on a single GTX 465 with your settings I'm getting roughly 3-4 times your FPS in both heaven and furmark, so I think something is wrong with your card.

I tried calling Digital Storm back (where I got my 'puter), but I was retarded and got mixed up on timezones and for some reason was like "I got until 9 to call them." Nooope. 5pm Pacific >_< Just slipped my mind. Darn subtraction of 2 single digit integers! I have a 3 year parts and labor plan with them. So if it is indeed a problem with the card or anything that won't be a problem (except for the shipping. blarg).

Thanks for the help and any more advice or comparisons would be appreciated. I would like to know if others feel that my machine is definitely underperforming. Since it's not crashing now, I don't want to get content and then suddenly it pops back up and I have to revisit all this stuff.

I will say, though, all this looking at parts and stuff has got me drooling. I now wanna upgrade my RAM to 1600 and possibly to 12GB (it's not necessary, I'm sure, but hey! While I'm buying, right?). And maybe even upgrade my video card but I can't just chunk the old one. I need a good one to sell. SO! Onward to getting my machine back up to snuff! I will eagerly (and with hope) await more responses from those who aren't half-assed computer geeks such as myself and have kept up with knowledge and new developments.
Score
August 7, 2011 11:47:28 PM

Well last night I was playing a flash game in my browser when my monitor blinked off and back on with a note letting me know my video card crashed. Sooo... yeah. I don't think a GTX 275 is supposed to spaz out at Flash
Score
August 7, 2011 11:49:39 PM

Best answer selected by woodzip87.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 8, 2011 12:01:22 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!