Status
Not open for further replies.

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
my brother has an xfx 9800gt 512MB video card, and according to GPU meter (that gadget for windows 7, i cant get gpu-z since im on guest account) the card idles at 70* C+ on idle. i was playing battlefield play4free and it reached 92* C. and the fan is at 70% on idle, and ramps to 100% on load very fast, even on empire and allies. (a zynga game)

and GPU-meter says the gpu clock is at 670MHz, and i checked the stock clocks and the gpu clock is suppose to be 600 MHz. so i think my bro overclocked the card. now i know high temps are bad, so how bad is this? would you guys recommend buying an after market cooler? im worried, that while im gaming the card will just die and i will get killed cuz the card died.

i was thinking this would be a good cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118072

thank you guys ( and i cant log-in unless i request a password change )

Solution
70c at idle is not good, I have had Zalmen VF900's on my 8800GT's since day one and the core temp of the one I'm still using is currently 54c with the ambient temp running at 44c with the room temp at 28.5c.

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
thats really cool temps. i also noticed that his computer is really dusty too, but he gets mad if i unplug it to clean it. so would you recommend getting the vf770. i mean its only 30 bones.

edit: so i checked the zalman website, and it says its not compatible with the 9800gt. so im going to look for another cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS