Sign in with
Your question

About molex connector and fans

Last response: in Components
January 6, 2012 8:02:39 PM

I'm not sure where to ask this question so I'll just ask here, if it's the wrong place, moderators please move it. :) 

My question is how many fans can be connected to a single molex connector? For example, if I connect 5 fans to a single molex connector, will all 5 of them get 12V?

I'm asking this because I have a fan controller (Scythe Kaze Q-8) and it has only 1 power connector that is split into 2 molex connectors (1 male and 1 female connector). Does that mean that only 1 (or 2?) molex connectors have to supply up to 8 fans with 12V each (in case I want all 8 running at 100%)?

Thanks for help.

More about : molex connector fans

a b ) Power supply
January 6, 2012 10:13:18 PM

Alot depends on the fans and what wattage they are.
eight 10w fans are sure going to put a load on the 12v rail (80w or 6.7 amps) they are connected too.

Anyways, thats not how you connect the Kaze. If you look on the backside you'll see the kaze has eight 3pin connectors for your fans and it should have included 8 fan 3wire extensions. One end of the extension goes to your fan and the other end to the 3pin kaze connector. Unfortuantely the Kaze 8 only uses 1 connector for power so you cannot distribute the load to other rails.

You should have an adapter for the power connector incuded too. Thats the one with a male and female molex plus a small 4 pin connect that goes to the power connector on your controller. It does not go to the fans!

If your fans have molex connectors on the them see if the molex are just extensions on the 3 wire fan otherwise you will need molex to 3pin adapters. (or 3 wire fans)
January 6, 2012 11:28:28 PM

Most fans use very little power and you can connect as many of them as you want. If you have some abnormally large and/or powerful fans then you might want to look at it more closely. Just check the wattage requirements of your fans.
January 6, 2012 11:45:04 PM

popatim said:
Alot depends on the fans and what wattage they are.
eight 10w fans are sure going to put a load on the 12v rail (80w or 6.7 amps) they are connected too.

Anyways, thats not how you connect the Kaze. If you look on the backside you'll see the kaze has eight 3pin connectors for your fans and it should have included 8 fan 3wire extensions. One end of the extension goes to your fan and the other end to the 3pin kaze connector. Unfortuantely the Kaze 8 only uses 1 connector for power so you cannot distribute the load to other rails.

You should have an adapter for the power connector incuded too. Thats the one with a male and female molex plus a small 4 pin connect that goes to the power connector on your controller. It does not go to the fans!

If your fans have molex connectors on the them see if the molex are just extensions on the 3 wire fan otherwise you will need molex to 3pin adapters. (or 3 wire fans)

I know how to connect everything and I have everything you described (8 cables that connect Kaze with each of 8 fans and 1 cable that connects Kaze with power supply). I was just confused because single 12V molex is supposed to power up 8 fans. So I suppose it is supposed to be that way?

Also, fans in question are 4 120mm fans that come with Zalman Z9 Plus case and I plan to buy additional 1-2 fans, most likely 120mm Sickleflow or something along those lines.

According to Cooler Master's official website, Sickleflow uses 4.2W. I can't find info about Zalman's fans.

Are there going to be any problems?

And thanks for help. :) 
!