• Graphics Cards
  • Battlefield
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 5, 2011 11:05:05 PM

Hi guys,

So I will be pre-ordering Battlefield 3 soon and I am looking to upgrade my GTX 260. At the moment I have an i5 750 cpu and an MSI motherboard but I also happen to have a p55s motherboard (still boxed) with the sli setup.

I am not sure whether it would be better to keep the motherboard I have and upgrade the card(this is what Im looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) or install the other motherboard and put in two mid-range cards.

My budget is anywhere up to $250 and I would prefer to get everything from Newegg. Basically which would give me the best monetary value and provide me with the possible experience with BF3 (Im not looking to max out the game or anything i just want it to look pretty good).

And if you think I should go with the sli setup, what would you recommend for the two cards? Thanks, any help is appreciated.

More about : battlefield video cards

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 7, 2011 11:06:52 AM

I haven't seen the system requirements of the game but in my opinion getting a card before doing any other upgrade would prepare you for the game. Selling the 260 would give you some funds to upgrade the motherboard later. In my opinion its better to be CPU limited then GPU limited because if it's CPU than at least the game still looks nice when you hit the bottleneck.
October 3, 2011 1:09:32 AM

but you have to remember if you bottleneck it then you would be limmiting the gpu because of the lacking cpu. if you want to gear up for battlefield 3 i would suggest this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... depending on your funds. also I would also suggest upgrading your cpu if it is not up to par because battlefield is a really intense game on your cpu.

I like this video (very informational) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGdo75gasaQ
Related resources
a c 147 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2011 8:05:28 AM

C00PJr said:
but you have to remember if you bottleneck it then you would be limmiting the gpu because of the lacking cpu. if you want to gear up for battlefield 3 i would suggest this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... depending on your funds. also I would also suggest upgrading your cpu if it is not up to par because battlefield is a really intense game on your cpu.

I like this video (very informational) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGdo75gasaQ

i don't think he will have any problem with his i5 750 for BF3.

@OP: if you want to know what card to max out the game maybe you should go to BF3 forum and see the feedback from the players that currently playing BF3 beta.
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2011 8:37:35 AM

gaz717 said:
Hi guys,

So I will be pre-ordering Battlefield 3 soon and I am looking to upgrade my GTX 260. At the moment I have an i5 750 cpu and an MSI motherboard but I also happen to have a p55s motherboard (still boxed) with the sli setup.

I am not sure whether it would be better to keep the motherboard I have and upgrade the card(this is what Im looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) or install the other motherboard and put in two mid-range cards.

My budget is anywhere up to $250 and I would prefer to get everything from Newegg. Basically which would give me the best monetary value and provide me with the possible experience with BF3 (Im not looking to max out the game or anything i just want it to look pretty good).

And if you think I should go with the sli setup, what would you recommend for the two cards? Thanks, any help is appreciated.

I own a gtx 275 with a i7 870 so basically my rig is as powerful as yours.Now I tried the bf3 beta and you can play the game at high settings (one step below ultra) with around 30 fps but let me asssure you its completely playable.After playing the beta,I advise you that you wait until the final game is released.TBH the beta actually looked like counter strike at 30 fps.It looks decidedly....bad.Therefore first let the game be released,see how it looks visually and only then upgrade the card.I have a feeling,after playing the beta,that this release is gonna be worse than crysis 2.These are 2 screenies in game and thats on max settings DX 10.Its up to you to decide whether it looks good or not.To me it looks worse than COD Modern Warfare 2 :lol: 

October 3, 2011 9:30:07 AM

I am trying to decide between two cards for this game also. Currently I have an Old 8800 GTX (768 MB RAM). It run the beta like pure CRAP. If I look at the fire through a scope my frame rate drops to nothing on medium and low settings. I have an Intel Quad Core Q6700 with 4GB of RAM.

I would like to upgrade my whole system but right now I can fit it in the budget. I had read on numerous review sites the GTX 560 is the best bang for the buck at around $200. I also saw a site that said if you wanted to go just a little better get the GTX 560 Ti series.

I have narrowed it down to a couple of choices. One of the cards has 2GB of RAM but has slightly lower Core Clock speed ect. The other card is the 1GB card with a slightly higher Core/Mem Clock. I have read that anything over 1GB maybe over kill for some games unless you run at really high res/settings. I was just trying to decide which card I should get to give the best performance overall. In which case would the extra RAM be worth the loss in core clock?

Here are the two cards side by side http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

If anyone has a better card suggestion I am open to ideas. I just do not want to spend much more than $200 - $260. I was turned over back in the late 90s to the ATI cards and really never thought about them as an option as I have since been a Nvidia guy. I am however open to the idea at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I also have a friend with the exact same rig I have pondering the exact same question as we speak.
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2011 9:34:14 AM

StateCop said:
I am trying to decide between two cards for this game also. Currently I have an Old 8800 GTX (768 MB RAM). It run the beta like pure CRAP. If I look at the fire through a scope my frame rate drops to nothing on medium and low settings. I have an Intel Quad Core Q6700 with 4GB of RAM.

I would like to upgrade my whole system but right now I can fit it in the budget. I had read on numerous review sites the GTX 560 is the best bang for the buck at around $200. I also saw a site that said if you wanted to go just a little better get the GTX 560 Ti series.

I have narrowed it down to a couple of choices. One of the cards has 2GB of RAM but has slightly lower Core Clock speed ect. The other card is the 1GB card with a slightly higher Core/Mem Clock. I have read that anything over 1GB maybe over kill for some games unless you run at really high res/settings. I was just trying to decide which card I should get to give the best performance overall. In which case would the extra RAM be worth the loss in core clock?

Here are the two cards side by side http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

If anyone has a better card suggestion I am open to ideas. I just do not want to spend much more than $200 - $260. I was turned over back in the late 90s to the ATI cards and really never thought about them as an option as I have since been a Nvidia guy. I am however open to the idea at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I also have a friend with the exact same rig I have pondering the exact same question as we speak.

As I said its best to wait until the final version is released.Theres no telling whats there in the final release.The beta is very poorly optimised and for now mostly the gtx 560 non TI can max out the game easily at 1080p.If there is a new setting which would be unlocked in the final version you will regret buying the 560.There wait until 28 Oct,see how the game performs and then consider upgrading.Considering an upgrade on the basis of a unoptimised and unfinished beta is foolish IMHO
October 3, 2011 9:53:24 AM

celpas said:
As I said its best to wait until the final version is released.Theres no telling whats there in the final release.The beta is very poorly optimised and for now mostly the gtx 560 non TI can max out the game easily at 1080p.If there is a new setting which would be unlocked in the final version you will regret buying the 560.There wait until 28 Oct,see how the game performs and then consider upgrading.Considering an upgrade on the basis of a unoptimised and unfinished beta is foolish IMHO

I am fully aware there will be more optimizations ect that will make it run better but my old card is bottom of the line spec for what they have listed. It also is a DX10 card. I am definitely going to get a new 560 for my other games as well. The main question is which of the two would be better for not only this games but high end games like it. I mean if money wasnt an issue I would just get the GTX590 and could play at high levels no matter what setting was unlocked. lol...... Most of what I read have the GTX560 at 2-3 times the performance of my old card at any game.

The higher clock speed or the larger RAM?? As a general rule which would be better for all other high end games?
October 4, 2011 1:41:44 AM

renz496 said:
i don't think he will have any problem with his i5 750 for BF3.

@OP: if you want to know what card to max out the game maybe you should go to BF3 forum and see the feedback from the players that currently playing BF3 beta.

I know, i was commenting on the coment that the other guy made about it looking great when it bottlenecks.
!