Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cougar Vortex 120mm and Cooler Master Megaflow Fans

Last response: in Components
Share
January 6, 2012 8:43:32 PM

I just added three Cougar Vortex 120mm PWM fans to my case, the Corsair 600t SE. Two of the cougars are being use as exhausts on top with my H100 radiator on the inside, so they are pulling. Temps are doing fine, if not, they dropped a little from the stock Corsair fans. As for the noise, they are GONE! With music/game sound on I cannot hear my system at all. What sucks though is that the grill on top of the 600t makes the Cougars sound "louder" than they really should be, but since it is barely audible it does not bother me much. As for the third Vortex, it is on the back as my exhaust fan. Loving the look of it.

As for the Cooler Master Megaflow 200mm fan, I do not know if I received a bad one or not, but the stock 600t, the 1000 RPM one, moved more air than the Megaflow does? Putting my hand on the outside grill, I can feel less air, and putting my hand on the inside right by the Megaflow I can tell the difference as well. So, I do not get why the Megaflow has more CFM?

What is confusing me most is that the inside of my case has more airflow now though... I do not know if it is from the Vortex fans or the Megaflow fan. I can feel "some" air around my rear Vortex fan so I know some of it is from there. I just get the feeling that the Megaflow is hindering my airflow now... I don't really feel like taking it out and putting the stock fan back in to test to see which one it is, but I think I have to resort to that.

Just wanted to see what you guys opinions and takes are about this. Also, if you guys think I should change my airflow in any way let me know. Such as, should I use the top two Vortex as intake instead of exhaust, or if I should use the rear Vortex as an intake instead. Let me know!
January 6, 2012 10:40:39 PM

the megaflow spins slower
700RPM 110 CFM
the 600t
•Fan Speed: 1000RPM
•Air Flow: Up to 92 CFM
according to newegg, the megaflow fan has a higher cfm
got the 600t info off the corsair website
January 6, 2012 10:46:33 PM

nna2 said:
the megaflow spins slower
700RPM 110 CFM
the 600t
•Fan Speed: 1000RPM
•Air Flow: Up to 92 CFM
according to newegg, the megaflow fan has a higher cfm
got the 600t info off the corsair website


Since it has a higher CFM shouldn't that mean it pushes more air, meaning I'll be able to feel more air? Or am I understanding CFM wrong...
Related resources
January 7, 2012 1:38:56 AM

if its blowing inwards, then you'd have to feel inside the case :p 
January 7, 2012 2:02:21 AM

nna2 said:
if its blowing inwards, then you'd have to feel inside the case :p 


Lol I've done that... I felt both the intake and the exhaust air. They both feel weaker than the stock Corsair fan. I'll try changing them off of the 600t fan controller and installing them onto the motherboard and see how it feels tomorrow. It feels like my rear Vortex is not blowing as much air as my others as well, so I am guessing it might be my fan controller.
February 10, 2012 7:45:56 PM

shoda said:
Lol I've done that... I felt both the intake and the exhaust air. They both feel weaker than the stock Corsair fan. I'll try changing them off of the 600t fan controller and installing them onto the motherboard and see how it feels tomorrow. It feels like my rear Vortex is not blowing as much air as my others as well, so I am guessing it might be my fan controller.



Hi. I was googling to replace the fans inside my 600T SE and I see you have a very similar setup.

I have 600T SE with H100 cooling my cpu.

I was surprised to see that you were replaced the fans with Cougar Vortex and COOLER MASTER Megaflow.

Those fans were exact fans that I wanted to replace my stock fans with.

So I was wondering if you went ahead and tried changing the Megaflow off the fan controller onto the motherboard.

Did it change anything? Is the airflow better with stock or Megaflow?

Also, does it fit nicely without modification to the case?

I really need good airflow in my system since I have two HD7970's in crossfire setup and they are HOT and LOUD!!! lol

I was also wondering how much of the orage color can you see through the mesh?

I also want to place 4 Cougar Vortex on the side panel of 600T but I was afraid the bright orange colors of those fans will ruin the clean look of black and white.

If you see this, please let me know. Thanks!!!
February 10, 2012 8:16:28 PM

iskaryotes said:
Hi. I was googling to replace the fans inside my 600T SE and I see you have a very similar setup.

I have 600T SE with H100 cooling my cpu.

I was surprised to see that you were replaced the fans with Cougar Vortex and COOLER MASTER Megaflow.

Those fans were exact fans that I wanted to replace my stock fans with.

So I was wondering if you went ahead and tried changing the Megaflow off the fan controller onto the motherboard.

Did it change anything? Is the airflow better with stock or Megaflow?

Also, does it fit nicely without modification to the case?

I really need good airflow in my system since I have two HD7970's in crossfire setup and they are HOT and LOUD!!! lol

I was also wondering how much of the orage color can you see through the mesh?

I also want to place 4 Cougar Vortex on the side panel of 600T but I was afraid the bright orange colors of those fans will ruin the clean look of black and white.

If you see this, please let me know. Thanks!!!


In the end I decided on sticking with the stock Corsair 200mm fan in the front. It seems like it moves more air, although it is a little louder, and I simply like the white LEDs much more than I did the blue's on the Cooler Master. I have tried both plugging the Megaflow and the Corsair 200mm fans onto a motherboard fan header and it made no difference from plugging them into the fan controller. They still run at the same speed. However, taking out the front 200mm fan is pretty hard. You cannot do it unless if you drill away some of the plastic that is blocking you access to the screws holding it. I'd say just leave the Corsair fan in, it is good as is.

As for the Cougar fans, I have two on my h100 that are on the top compartment. You cannot see them unless if you take off the top grill so unless if you showed it off no one would know that they were there. I have my last Cougar fan as my rear exhaust. As for the side panel, I do not have the mesh grill installed, I have the clear window installed so I do not/cannot mount any fans on the side.

You do know that the Cougar fans are not LED fans right...? haha. They are not "bright" at all. They have a nice orange looking, more dark than light, that are really pleasing to the eye.
February 11, 2012 1:39:28 AM

shoda said:
In the end I decided on sticking with the stock Corsair 200mm fan in the front. It seems like it moves more air, although it is a little louder, and I simply like the white LEDs much more than I did the blue's on the Cooler Master. I have tried both plugging the Megaflow and the Corsair 200mm fans onto a motherboard fan header and it made no difference from plugging them into the fan controller. They still run at the same speed. However, taking out the front 200mm fan is pretty hard. You cannot do it unless if you drill away some of the plastic that is blocking you access to the screws holding it. I'd say just leave the Corsair fan in, it is good as is.

As for the Cougar fans, I have two on my h100 that are on the top compartment. You cannot see them unless if you take off the top grill so unless if you showed it off no one would know that they were there. I have my last Cougar fan as my rear exhaust. As for the side panel, I do not have the mesh grill installed, I have the clear window installed so I do not/cannot mount any fans on the side.

You do know that the Cougar fans are not LED fans right...? haha. They are not "bright" at all. They have a nice orange looking, more dark than light, that are really pleasing to the eye.


200mm fans are loud?!?!?!
February 11, 2012 3:02:25 AM

nna2 said:
200mm fans are loud?!?!?!


louder than my 120mm Cougar fans :D 

It has to do with how they are placed in the 600T though. The front grill makes them loud because of the air they are pulling through it. You can hear the *woosh* sounds.
February 11, 2012 3:15:11 PM

ahh kk lol
February 11, 2012 6:10:40 PM

Shoda is right on about the cougar fans. I was worried about the orange look when I was considering them. I ordered them and the air flow is amazing and quiet. The orange is more of a dark orange and looks very nice. I have the h100 with 4 cougars in push/pull, overkill and I love it.
February 11, 2012 9:27:19 PM

gbmike said:
Shoda is right on about the cougar fans. I was worried about the orange look when I was considering them. I ordered them and the air flow is amazing and quiet. The orange is more of a dark orange and looks very nice. I have the h100 with 4 cougars in push/pull, overkill and I love it.


I'm loving the look of the Cougars as well. However, what sucks is that mounting them as exhaust fans is causing them to vibrate and since they are so powerful they make my case vibrate. It totally sucks... if I use them as intake instead then there are no vibrations. Very weird! I contacted Cougar but they have not contacted me back.

I am trying to think of a way to mount the H100 in a different place in my rig so that the vibrating will stop.
February 12, 2012 12:03:06 AM

I remember seeing a couple people say the same about vibrating, I think it may have had to do with how tight it was put on. As for position of the H100, I have it mounted on top of my case. I also have a cougar for my exhaust with no vibration issues. Could be an issue with mounting, or maybe defective, not sure. But I wouldn't consider it normal, mine are silent with no vibration.
February 12, 2012 12:22:18 AM

gbmike said:
I remember seeing a couple people say the same about vibrating, I think it may have had to do with how tight it was put on. As for position of the H100, I have it mounted on top of my case. I also have a cougar for my exhaust with no vibration issues. Could be an issue with mounting, or maybe defective, not sure. But I wouldn't consider it normal, mine are silent with no vibration.


I don't think it is because of defective fans. I have three and I tried switching them all out. It happens with all three. Hmm... I'll try loosening them and see if that fixes it. I have them on pretty tight right now.
!