Random Blue Screen of Death and Power kills

junkins45

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
At random times during activities or just sitting idle the computer will get a BSOD and when I turn it off and then back on again the bios won't confirm and I don't get the beep. I turn it off and back on again and it will with shutdown(kill power)or once it loads give the BSOD again. I have re seated all of the connectors, done a mem test, swapped out my ram sticks and into different slots. I guess next step is the power supply?

Fox conn bloodrage motherboard
Tagan 1100w psu
Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 vid card
X-fi sound card
Gskill ripjaw ram sticks 2-4gig sticks
Also running win 7

sounds like your psu... sometimes they can develop faults where if there not adequate stressed (to big a psu for the system)the idling parts start wobbling causing current fluctuation. as a general rule psu's are built with a certain spectrum of typical voltage and if you system doesnt meet minimum draw for the psu then its considered to big for the system. this could be the issue with yours. to test it try turning off power savings and intels speed step... if the system stays on because your asking more from the psu then you have the above problem...

I didn't even know that. I learned something today!

Because it didn't pass the Power On Self Test (POST).

When working properly, after the single beep, you will see the BIOS boot screen appear.

What I've found is that the beep seems to indicate that the graphics card has successfully passed its own POST before handing control back to the motherboard's BIOS boot routine to continue the boot process.

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 295 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 680 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 46 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Which Tagan 1100w PSU model do you have? The 2-Force II Series TG1100-U33 or the PipeRock Series TG1100-BZ or the SmartRock Series BZ ESA 1100 or some other older model?