2x molex > 4 pin cpu safe solution?

xZiGGY

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Hello,
over christmas I've been upgraded to an ASUS P8P67LE + i5-2500.
However the PSU I'm using http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-alpine-750w-psu-120mm-red-fan-78ZT.html?src=3 only provides +12V 38A;

[[I am green when it comes to computers, and haven't been experiencing many performance issues however this seems like insufficient juice for even an unmodified cpu :p]]

If I split the HD and DVDR on one molex cable I free up enough to have 2 unused molex cables to adapt into a second 4-pin 12v cpu plug.
To me this seems like an ideal solution but I know very little about computers and breaking things is always a concern.

*** My question is: would this be a safe way of providing additional current to my cpu/mobo without issues of overheating connections as has been mentioned in other threads - is there some tricky load issue between molex and cpu pin 12v rails?

thank you kindly for any feedback

I assume you have a 4 pin connector plugged into the 8 pin slot at the moment? That should be sufficient as the 4 pin connector is capable of providing about 125 W, jerryrigging an 8 pin is likely to cause more issues. What graphics card do you have in the system(generally the biggest power hog)? Also, what kind of issues have you been experiencing that make you think its insufficient power to the CPU?

xZiGGY

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I have a radeon HD 4850 plugged into a 6pin from the psu,
I'm getting a few random freeze-crashes every 4-5 hours or so that aren't particularly annoying but are confusing to me. (though I have switched over to win7 64bit an os I've never used before :p)
Besides that trying to use the ASUS EZ Mode auto performance options results in all manner of issues with the board (such as the network card ceasing to function), I guess I hadn't considered the imbalanced resistances on the two 4 pins :D derp :<
It just seems a shame to have a pc never going over 40C even after 5 hours of battlefield 3. :/ Was wondering if there was anything I could do with that on the cheap to improve performance.

xZiGGY

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Thankyou for your reply Hunter,
I had read somewhere that an i5-2500k draws 130 w under full load, which combined with the article about 4pin/8pin ampages I had guessed was the cause of some of my issues. However this is obviously not the case since without overclocking a 2500k is a 95w chip, I'm not sure where i got that number from sorry :p

It turns out the issue I was having with running the EZMode mobo in performance mode stemmed from having the dimms in the wrong combination of slots - I had checked previously to see if this would be an issue in the manual but it isn't mentioned at all -- it is however mentioned int he quick start guide (wtf :p)
So you are, naturally, 100% correct the power is sufficient for running some of the idiot-friendly gimmicks on my computer :p

If you don't mind, would you explain to me (in laymans :D) some of the issues that arise from using a 2molex > 4pin cpu in conjunction with a straight 4pin cpu from the psu? If nothing but for future reference I'd love to know an expert's input :p