Sign in with
Your question

Views on this as a Alternative to own built System

Last response: in Systems
October 7, 2011 12:17:25 PM

Normally I'm a big believer in building one's out system, and certainly not alienware/dell, however, this doesn't look like a terrible deal. (Its got some old hardware, which is why i guess its going cheap). 3year warranty is a nice addition.

Warranty............... 3yr Dell Next Day On-Site Warranty
Model.................... Alienware Aurora Cosmic Black
Case Type.............. Tower
CPU...................... Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz
Memory (MB)........... 6144mb 1600MHz Tri Channel
Hard Disk (GB).......... 2x 500
Optical Drive/s.......... DVD-RW
Video .................... 2x 1gb Radeon HD 6870
Soundcard............... Onboard
USB Ports................ 8
O/S Details.............. Windows 7 Home Premium x64-bit (Licence)
Keyboard................ Dell USB UK Keyboard
Mouse.................... Dell USB Optical

Total cost is £780. If I bought this, chucked in a SSD harddrive, wouldn't be a bad system? Or should I just buy newer parts and build my own? (reason i'm looking at this rather than building my own is I'm getting lazier as I get older!)
October 7, 2011 1:45:40 PM

I hear that about building computers. (I got lazy a year ago and bought a desktop replacement laptop, haha)

Yes it is not too bad of a computer. Especially for that price. Not too sure what the conversion of the pound to the dollar is right now though.....

How long do you plan on keeping it?

It looks like that computer would be decent for the next 2-3 years especially with an SSD drive in it.

But I like that computer. the 2 GPU's are a nice addition. You can always upgrade to bigger HDDs in the future as well as more ram later on (RAM is dirt cheap right now....the DRAM makers currently made way too many chips in the past year).

As Picard would put it; Make it so.
October 7, 2011 3:26:39 PM

Thanks Chainzsaw,
I think you're right. The pound/dollar conversion doesn't really help, as we here get screwed every which way usually. But I don't think I'd easily be able to make a much cheaper PC.

The fact that it comes with 3year next day on sight warranty is also a big plus i guess.

It just feels strange, normally spend weeks researching the exact build... but think its a go.

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
Related resources
October 7, 2011 3:30:48 PM

You should be able to build your own Sandy Bridge system that would most likely outperform the above for cheaper. But ignoring the fact the i7-920 is old and ridiculously overpriced compared to its performance (relative perf. nowadays) it's not too bad.
October 7, 2011 3:43:44 PM

No problem.

Hope it all works out for you. The 3 year warrenty is really nice. Just make sure you are able to upgrade it with other parts - and by doing so doesn't break your warrenty.

Ay 780 pounds (lol I feel weird typing that out) - I would say it is totally worth not having the hastle of building your own computer and spending tons of time figuring out what the problem is with a custom build.
!