Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2 New builds

Last response: in Systems
October 7, 2011 1:32:37 PM

Hi. I will make 2 pc builds for the first time! I want to know your opinion about it. I have read a lot for about 3 months. (Case not included). I'm not from the US and I can only buy from amazon.

First build: Web PC (Dad's pc)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 455 Processor 3.3 GHz 80$
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ 760G M-ATX 60$
or...
GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3 AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard 83$
Ram: Patriot Memory 'Sector 5' G Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz CAS 9-9-9-24 Enhanced Latency Dual Channel Kit 23$
or...
Kingston ValueRAM 4 GB Kit (2x2 GB Modules) 1333MHz PC3-1066 DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 29$
GPU: None
Hard drive:: Western Digital 500 GB Sata 6.0 Gb-s 16 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-oem Drives WD5000AAKX 45$
DVD:: Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black) 26$
PSU:: Cooler Master Elite 460W ATX +12V V2.31 SATA, PCI-E Power Supply RS460-PSAR-J3-US 30$

Second Build: My pc :) 
CPU: Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz 112$
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ 760G M-ATX 60$
or...
GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3 AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard 83$
Ram: Patriot Memory 'Sector 5' G Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz CAS 9-9-9-24 Enhanced Latency Dual Channel Kit 23$
or...
Kingston ValueRAM 4 GB Kit (2x2 GB Modules) 1333MHz PC3-1066 DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 29$
GPU: XFX AMD Radeon HD 6790 840 MHz 1 GB DDR5 Dual MiniDisplayPort Video Card (HD-679X-ZDFC) 140$
or...
Sapphire Radeon HD6770 1 GB DDR5 DVI/ HDMI/ DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card 100328L 115$
or...
PowerColor ATI Radeon HD6770 1 GB DDR5 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card AX6770 1GBD5-H 90$
Hard drive:: Western Digital 500 GB Sata 6.0 Gb-s 16 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-oem Drives WD5000AAKX 45$
DVD:: Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black) 26$
PSU:: SilverStone Strider 500W 60$

What do you think about it? I'll be using a 1366 x 768 monitor.. So I don't know if HD6790 is too much for that resolution.

Thanks in advance!

More about : builds

Best solution

October 7, 2011 1:44:48 PM

Get this for your dad, it's 20 times better than what you wanted to give him for only about $10 increase

A4-3400 = Quad core $74
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-A4-3400-Graphics-Quad-Core-Pr...

FM1 - motherboard $82 $72 after rebate.
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Socket-Graphic-Motherboa...

Get this for the both of you.

Ram - Just get 1 4gb stick not dual channel 2x2gb since you are buying micro atx boards that only allow 2 rams in. Buy another 4gb ram if needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-ValueRAM-KVR1...

A 6790 would be the best deal for you. It is only a bit expensive than the 6770 but better performance.

Don't skimp out on your dad since he is the one paying for it, I think.
Related resources
October 7, 2011 6:22:44 PM

Thanks for the quick answer, he is indeed paying for it, but he doesn't heavily use pc's, he uses it for browsing internet, checking mails, watch some youtube videos, facebooking, skyping, etc. I don't usually do heavy use from computers either, but I tend to open 20+ google chrome tabs, autocad, virtualize operative systems, some photoshop, process simulators, gaming, etc. I'm not an avid gamer, but from time to time I wish that if I want to play a game, the pc would run it great, something like Crysis 2 or something.

I was thinking of building the pcs as upgradable as posible, I don't know if FM1 motherboard would be upgradable in the future, or, let's say I want to buy bulldozer someday, I would give him the phenom II x4 955. I have never used a tricore processor, but he has an athlon XP with integrated graphics, so you could imagine that this is a big upgrade for him and I'm not too far from that either with a pentium III 800MHz processor (because the laptop with a dual core procesor died :cry:  ). The PSU was a good suggestion, thanks. The FM1 was too.. but as I told you.. would he be stuck with that forever? Will AMD realease the new fusion cpu's on the FM1 socket?

Thank you so much for your time!
October 7, 2011 6:39:13 PM

Definitely go with the better PSUs. The CM PSU has a liar-label on it (HardwareSecrets found it good for maybe 430W). The HD6790 is definitely the stronger card, but I'm less sure it is worth the $50 premium over the HD6770 at your intended resolution. Check benchmarks; it might be, but I'm confident you wouldn't "suffer" with the lesser card. If you might upgrade your monitor though, it would probably be worthwhile.
I disagree with cutebeans on the RAM though; I think you'll want dual channel. Your father could get by with 2x1GB sticks, but 2x2GB would be nice. Similarly, your gaming build would do pretty well on 2x2GB sticks, so 2x4GB would give you all kinds of future resistance.
October 8, 2011 2:20:15 AM

agroferia said:
Thanks for the quick answer, he is indeed paying for it, but he doesn't heavily use pc's, he uses it for browsing internet, checking mails, watch some youtube videos, facebooking, skyping, etc. I don't usually do heavy use from computers either, but I tend to open 20+ google chrome tabs, autocad, virtualize operative systems, some photoshop, process simulators, gaming, etc. I'm not an avid gamer, but from time to time I wish that if I want to play a game, the pc would run it great, something like Crysis 2 or something.

I was thinking of building the pcs as upgradable as posible, I don't know if FM1 motherboard would be upgradable in the future, or, let's say I want to buy bulldozer someday, I would give him the phenom II x4 955. I have never used a tricore processor, but he has an athlon XP with integrated graphics, so you could imagine that this is a big upgrade for him and I'm not too far from that either with a pentium III 800MHz processor (because the laptop with a dual core procesor died :cry:  ). The PSU was a good suggestion, thanks. The FM1 was too.. but as I told you.. would he be stuck with that forever? Will AMD realease the new fusion cpu's on the FM1 socket?

Thank you so much for your time!

Regarding the FM1 issue, currently there is no known facts and he might be stuck there forever but I doubt your dad's computer would need upgrades because the LLano chips would easily do whatever he wants and more. The AM3+ might be a dead end too after the bulldozer and I don't think your dad would be needing a bulldozer for his computer.

Do you really think your dad would need an upgrade in 5 years time? The Llano chip can do everything already for him easily. :)  He can use it as a media center and it will be faster. It's up to you :) . I've used on-board graphics card and let me tell you, it really sucks.
October 8, 2011 2:23:46 AM

Onus said:
Definitely go with the better PSUs. The CM PSU has a liar-label on it (HardwareSecrets found it good for maybe 430W). The HD6790 is definitely the stronger card, but I'm less sure it is worth the $50 premium over the HD6770 at your intended resolution. Check benchmarks; it might be, but I'm confident you wouldn't "suffer" with the lesser card. If you might upgrade your monitor though, it would probably be worthwhile.
I disagree with cutebeans on the RAM though; I think you'll want dual channel. Your father could get by with 2x1GB sticks, but 2x2GB would be nice. Similarly, your gaming build would do pretty well on 2x2GB sticks, so 2x4GB would give you all kinds of future resistance.

I doubt his father and him would notice any signifcant boost in performance with dual channeling. His mobo only has 2 ram slots so it would suck if he limited themselves to 4gb ram.
October 8, 2011 2:40:29 AM

4GB for his father and 8GB for him is what I was suggesting, although each could easily get by with half that. Right now RAM is cheap; I'm surprised prices haven't already started climbing, but it seems that all the world's fiat currencies are on shaky ground. It will be interesting (!!) to see what happens when they all collapse together.
October 8, 2011 2:48:31 AM

Yeah, I know you're right but if they can afford Dual channel 8gb then it'd be better for them. Actually, I'm on 2gb myself and game alot but my resolution is only 1280 x 1024 and my mobo doesn't support ddr3 lol. 4gb is actually alot for his father.
October 16, 2011 9:30:55 PM

Onus said:
4GB for his father and 8GB for him is what I was suggesting, although each could easily get by with half that. Right now RAM is cheap; I'm surprised prices haven't already started climbing, but it seems that all the world's fiat currencies are on shaky ground. It will be interesting (!!) to see what happens when they all collapse together.

cutebeans said:
Yeah, I know you're right but if they can afford Dual channel 8gb then it'd be better for them. Actually, I'm on 2gb myself and game alot but my resolution is only 1280 x 1024 and my mobo doesn't support ddr3 lol. 4gb is actually alot for his father.

I want to thank you guys for your help. I'll choose cutebeans FM1 suggestion for the best answer, because that was actually the best thing to do. But I was on a really tight budget and I found an offer in amazon for the Radeon HD 6850 for 135$ and I couldn't resist :D . So here's is what I've got:

My PC:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 112$
Motherboard: Gygabyte GA-78LMT-S2P 60$
RAM: Crucial 4GB 2GBx2 240-pin PC3-10600 DIMM DDR3 27$
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1 GB GDDR5 135$
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Blue 500GB Sata III 6.0Gb/s 45$
Optical Drive: ASUS SATA 24XDVD Burner 21$
Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX V2 500-Watt 80 Plus 60$

Total: 460$

Other PC:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 455 90$ (80$+Shipping)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3 AM3+ 91$
RAM: Crucial 4GB 2GBx2 240-pin PC3-10600 DIMM DDR3 27$
GPU: None.. I chose the motherboard because it has Radeon HD 4250 0$
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Blue 500GB Sata III 6.0Gb/s 45$
Optical Drive: ASUS SATA 24XDVD Burner 21$
Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX V2 430-Watt 80 Plus 45$

Total: 319$

Items will arrive in about 3 weeks here. So I'll inform you how good did it go!

I would like to overclock my CPU as they did in Toms Hardware. They undervolted to 1.3375 V and overclocked to 3.7GHz with the stock fan and temperatures dropped 1-2 degrees on load :D 
October 17, 2011 12:11:55 AM

Onus said:
For the same price, I believe these drives may be slightly faster: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
...although that's a niggle, and the difference won't be huge.

Damn.. You are right! I just did a search and in the passmark test and Seagate scores 771 vs 758 of the WD... Well.. I already bought the WD so I hope that's not too much difference.

I just hope there is not too much difference between the FX-4100 and my phenom, because I will be pissed, lol. I waited like 6 months for Bulldozer, and like 5 days after I bought all my components, bulldozer came out :lol: 
October 17, 2011 1:49:52 AM

If you read the reviews, for most things (particularly gaming and general purpose applications), Bulldozer was a hard-sucking letdown. When overclocked, it does better, but sucks down the juice. Rest easy; the latest is not the greatest.
October 17, 2011 2:45:30 AM

Onus said:
If you read the reviews, for most things (particularly gaming and general purpose applications), Bulldozer was a hard-sucking letdown. When overclocked, it does better, but sucks down the juice. Rest easy; the latest is not the greatest.

Thanks man for your anwers! Yeah I've read the reviews, but those are mainly with the FX-8xxx, there is only one I think that emulated a FX-4100 disabling 2 modules. Also they point that Windows 7 has some problems with FX processors. Anyway, I hope they get better, but I just don't want to feel that I've lost my money. I'm going to close the thread now! Thanks for all :hello: 
October 17, 2011 2:56:07 AM

Best answer selected by agroferia.
!