Sign in with
Your question

[SOLVED] ASRock FM2A75M-DGS / AMD A10 - won't post properly

Last response: in Motherboards
October 31, 2012 5:39:14 AM

I'm using the ASRock FM2A75M-DGS mobo / AMD A10 processor and I can't get it to post properly.

I'm still in the breadboard stage with just cpu/mobo/ram/psu. The best I can do is either 5 beeps or zero beeps and then the UEFI Setup Utility screen. This is my second build ever and first with AMD so I'm not sure what I should expect really, but if I hadn't got the little speaker that hooks up to your mobo I would be trying to install the OS right now thinking everything is cool. After I was getting 5 beeps at every boot for a long time and I got it to get to the UEFI screen with no beeps I thought I had got it working until I remembered I'm supposed to hear one beep, d'oh!

Here's what I've hooked up so far (as well as some gskill ddr1600 ram and an antec 750 gamer series PSU, while testing)
PCPartPicker part list /
CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75M-DGS Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply

And here's what I've tried so far (all breadboarded, before ever installing)
0.9: Re-seated everything - including the CPU
1: Booting with no ram - long beeps
2: Booting with one dimm of the ram I got with this order in each slot, with each dimm - 5 beeps each time (did this way more than 4 times with all the reseats and stuff)
3: Booting with 2 dimms of good ddr3 240 pin ram from another machine - 5 beeps (don't ask me why I didn't try one dimm the first time)
4: Put ram that shipped with order back in both slots - 5 beeps
5: Hooked up with my 750 antec gamer series PSU to make sure it wasn't that - 5 beeps
6: Cleared CMOS using the jumper and booted up with ram that shipped with order - 5 beeps
7: Realized I hadn't tried the good ram one stick at a time, tried it in one slot - no beeps
8: Tried the good dimm in the other slot - no beeps, then both "good" dimms - no beeps
9: Tried one of the original dimms - 5 beeps (I'm thinking I got it now)
10: Tried the other original dimm in that slot - no beeps
11: Moved the "no beep" orgitnal dimm to the other slot, put the the "5 beep" original ram into the first slot - no beeps!
12: Get all excited before remembering that I'm after 1 beep, not "no beeps"...

All the wile I can get to the ASRock UEFI Setup Utility, where you can pick overclocking, hardware monitoring, boot, etc.. and mouse and keyboard work (is that the Bios screen or am I not even getting to the Bios screen?)

So what's next?

Thanks!

Edit for clarity
Edit 2: tittle to "solved"
October 31, 2012 7:02:17 PM

I'm having the same problem with my ASRock FM2A75M-DGS mobo. It just starts up beeps 5 times and then displays on the screen that I need to insert a proper boot device. So after messing with the ram sticks with no luck I started it and during the POST pressed f2 and it took me to what I think is the BIOS and it beeped once. Now when I turn it on it doesn't beep at all.
m
l
November 1, 2012 3:10:16 AM

TLDR version: If you're getting to the ASRock EUFI Setup utility and your system isn't shutting down, don't worry about the post beeps. Just continue on with your build and installation and it will all be fine.

Based on advice from someone at buildapc with the same cpu/mobo, I ended up connecting the optical drive and booting up from windows cd. Everything seemed fine there so I went ahead and added my SSD and installed windows without using the key. Put in the drivers from the disk that came with the mobo and everything was great. I haven't done anything but install stuff yet but things seem to be working fine so I used my key to finish the Windows updates. I don't know how to run diagnostics or anything but I'm getting no complaints, the system is running off my hard drive and installing stuff, I've also played a bit of minecraft and swtor and they are running great so I'm pretty sure it's all good. Check the BIOS to make sure the RAM is set right. Mine detected 1600 and I had to set it to 2133 manually.

It's still on the bread board (or drawing board in this case). I'm going to set the SSD all up with the OS and games and stuff then build the tower with my kids so when they finish plugging everything in they can get right to their games =)

Good luck!

Edited: for clarity in case anybody else has this problem
m
l
November 1, 2012 3:26:15 AM

Dustymoon said:
I was advised to do that by someone else at buildapc who had the same cpu/mobo as me and said they got the 5 beeps as well, but everything worked after they set up the partition on the HD. I ended up connecting the optical drive and booting up from windows cd. Everything seemed fine there so I went ahead and put my ssd in and installed windows without using the key. Put in the drivers from the disk that came wiht the mobo and everything was great. I haven't done anything but install stuff yet but things seem to be working fine. I don't know how to run diagnostics or anything but I'm getting no complaints, the system is running off my hard drive and installing stuff...

It's still on the bread board (or drawing board in this case). I'm going to set the disk all up with the os and games and stuff then build the tower with my kids so when they finish screwing, snapping and plugging everything in they can get right to their games =)

Good luck!

Awesome! Thanks!
m
l
!