gladimus

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Hello,

I recently upgraded my rig with a new cpu, mb and ram. I kept the old psu, case, hd and gpu. Everything went fine for a few weeks after the upgrade and then I started getting random crashes with multicolor screens (no bsod, just screen turning multicolor and needing a restart). So after checking the ram and trying different nVidia driver versions I RMA the 2 year old 280 gtx. I get the new one and the problem happens almost immediately (within 24 hours). So I started talking to my mb manufacturer ASUS, they made me run some tests (use 1 stick of ram at a time, try the card in a different pcie slot). They then concluded that the mobo was the problem. So I rma the mobo.

While waiting for my new mobo, I tested the card in a different computer and the problem happens there too. As soon As windows logs on, the screen turns multicolor requiring a reboot. It doesn't matter which drivers I use, it happens every time. Windows logs in on safe mode and works fine if no graphics drivers are installed. As soon as drivers get installed however the crash occurs. I then RMA the card for the second time.

I eventually got both the mobo and card back (both of them appear new) and installed everything. It all worked fine for ~3 weeks and today the problem happened again, I open my computer, windows loads and as soon as I do anything, the screen turns to multicolor artifact and I need to reboot. I now suspect my psu is somehow frying different components of my computer as there's no way I can have gone through 3 gpus in 2 months.

I don't overclock,the psu is a 2 year old corsair 850w, the gpu is a evga 280 gtx, cpu: 2600k, mobo: asus p8z68-v pro, ram: 8gb g-skill. All tests were done on windows 7 pro with various version nVidia signed drivers.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Anything is possible. My gtx470 recently started crashing with the default message that the driver stopped responding and was restarted. By swapping parts with another computer i narrowed it down to the PSU.

Replaced PSU and everything is great. If you asked me a few months ago if the PSU could cause the video driver to stop responding I would say no way in the world!!!. But in my case it did and i have the PSU and the video card that both work. They just dont work together any more.

can you borrow a PSU some how to test it?

When you did your up grade why did you not upgrade your gpu. If it were me I think I would sell the card on E-bay and get a newer model gpu. I am kind of surprised that they still had a gtx 280 to send you when you did the rma and two of them at that. If you suspect the psu then maybe you could get a new psu as well. You do have quality components with the cpu ,MB and ram , why not get the new psu and gpu and have a completely new upgraded computer ( except for the hdd and case). I don't know if you have a budget and if you do then you could try the psu upgrade first.

gladimus

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

If you read what I wrote I already stepped back and used several nVidia drivers, the problem happens on any version ( I tried over 5 of them)

gladimus

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

I honestly just didn't want to upgrade the gpu because the one I had was still adequate for what I do. I really just want to be sure of what the problem is as I've already spent well over 100$ in RMA shipping for this problem and I don't feel like spending more money for no reason.

I can however borrow a psu and try that. However, I suspect that the card is permanently damaged, as that is the exact problem that occurred to me before, and trying the old card in a totally separate computer changed nothing.

gladimus

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
So I just tried the PC again, now everything is working and I can't get it to crash (prime 95 for 10 minutes and currently running FurMark burn-in with 7 minutes and no sign of crashing.

I took a look at the voltages both with software and a multimeter, and has more than a 3% voltage difference compared to what it should be (3.3, 5, 12v).

I am at a loss, I have no idea what's going on, the only thing that changed between earlier and now is that the room has gotten ~5 degrees hotter...