Aug 6, 2006
So I now have:

CM Hyper 212 plus heatsink/fan
Asus Gen3 Pro P8z68 mobo
i5-2400 SB
Samsing 830 SSD 128GB
16GB Corsair LP ddr3-1600
SATA DVD-R/RW
(dont have WD Velociraptor hooked in yet)
Logitech Z5500 Digital Speakers 5.1
Windows 7

I loaded chipset drivers and everything. I loaded the sound card drivers and when it asked to restart, I went into the BIOS and disabled the onboard sound. On the Logitech Control Base panel (what looks like a huge wired remote control) it says, Input: Optical NO Digital Data. The light is on on the sound card and it reaches the base. I'm getting no sound and no detection of the Forte at all. It's a PCIe x1 card.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

If I take it out and use onboard, doesn't that take valuable resources? The card has Xram also.

I think DD/DTS is not working cause I see, " The creative audio service is not started. Please reinstall the application. (this is in encoder on Auzentech Forte.

the difference is negligible. maybe 1-2% of the cpu cycles will be set aside for audio. if your system has a decent gap between the gfx card and cpu then 1-2% will hardly be noticeable if at all.
thing is all you say is its a pci-e x1 card.. without the make and model we cant really tell exactly if your card supports off cpu, hardware audio processing anyway. most cards under 60 pounds dont. anything less than a xfi-Xtreme gamer wont support off cpu encoding so you will be using cpu cycles to run the card and run audio, resulting in a 3-5% hit.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

I did, look at my response to Kajabla. Auzentech Forte. I think I caught it. nbelievable, 3:53am and I finally catch the problem.
1- Took it off the SSD
2- Went to Auzentech's website and got the latest driver and made sure it said Windows 7.
3- Hooked up my Velociraptor and formated it.
4- Saved the driver on the Velociraptor.
5- restarted
6- Went into Forte's audio program, this time was able to turn on DTS Decoding/DD and sure enough....BAMMMMM; sound is back!

Now that's a learning expierence :)

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Kaj, from what I heard, the Forte's 64 XRAM is different than the XRAM on the SB's. It's more efficient. I'd have to dig to find it. I love the Forte. Best investment in a sound card and yes, I bought this card 2 1/2 years ago. Im surprised it's already "deactivated" on Newegg. I wonder what took it's place in Auzentech. No bloated software also. DD/DTS sounds incredible. When Im playing Civ 5....the sound quality is fantastic.

Davcon, funny how the lightbulb went on over my head :) Not to be gross but I figured out what I did wrong while I was taking care of nature calling lol. I totally forgot in the newegg feedback that many were reporting issues with the card with Windows 7 and I wasn't sure if the driver on the disc had Windows 7 because I previously had VIsta. I went on Auzentech;s website, found the latest driver (9/9/11) and downloaded it. For some reason Windows kept on loading HD audio speakers and I thought that was the conflict but then I thought maybe it's reading the digital speakers (Logitech 5500 5.1 speakers) as HD audio because I shut off onboard sound already. Then I think I forgot to delete EVERything on the SSD. I only deleted the drivers and not DD/DTS etc. I did that, downloaded and installed the newest driver (after restart) and thought; eh, I can leave it on the velociraptor. Sure enough, after that; I was able to go into the Forte's main sound program and this time I was able to click DTS and BAMM, sound was back! LOL, that was probably the most difficult issue I ever had next to the underclocking of RAM by my previous system and BSODs that issue was causing.

I'm loving my new system:) I must say, where was Asus all my life. What a difference between EVGA and Gigabyte! I love Asus!

I think you should try with the card and with integrated sound, with someone else randomly switching it on and off, and see if you can actually call whether the card's on. If you can call it pretty reliably, a long-held belief of mine will be shattered, but I'd be surprised.