Sign in with
Your question

1080p issues over HDMI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 6, 2011 2:31:31 PM

Hi,
I've just bought this monitor/TV http://www.benq.com/product/tv/ml2241/specifications

I have a mobile Radeon HD 5650 laptop. When I connect the monitor (via HDMI) and start the laptop, it briefly sets the correct resolution for it as long as the Windows 7 startup screen is shown:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/photo0022h.jpg...

however, once I get into windows, it switches to this:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/photo0025gs.jpg...

and the image does not fill the entire screen and looks scaled (blurry).

Is there any way to force the ATI/AMD drivers to output exactly the resolution/mode set during the windows loading screen (and not some HDTV junk)?

The Catalyst classifies resolutions into two groups - basic and HDTV. The resolutions from basic show correctly (e.g. 1680x1050@60Hz) however, there's no basic 1920x1080@60Hz resolution listed. I guess this would achieve the mode used during Windows 7 startup.

I don't want to switch to a VGA cable (I haven't tried but I guess it would solve the issue).

Thanks

Edit: I apologize, I probably picked a wrong forum (I remember choosing AMD Radeon), could someone move it there or into graphics cards? Thx.

More about : 1080p issues hdmi

August 7, 2011 11:42:53 AM

There is an option in Catalyst to force detect of TVs or to add the resolution into the friver set. Do you have the latest Catalyst drivers?
m
l
August 7, 2011 12:54:17 PM

I tried multiple versions of the drivers (incl. the latest, downloaded yesterday).

The problem is, I don't want to use any of the HDTV modes/resolutions. I want a plain 1920x1080@60Hz, the same that would be used in case the display was connected via DVI (only there's no DVI out on the laptop).

The display should be a regular PC monitor with TV functionality added on top and it should handle the standard PC signals well (it does). It is the weird HDTV (non-PC) mode/signal ATI chooses for 1920x1080 which causes the problems.

I would need to trick the drivers to think it is connected via DVI, not HDMI. I think that would do what I want.

I noticed there's some underscan/overscan crap specific to this HDTV/HDMI mode. I tried playing around the ATI's and the monitor's settings for this but haven't managed to get a clean picture.

It seems the display, once it detects this 1080p (HDTV) mode, does a bit of overscan. The slider in the ATI driver seems too coarse to hit the correct underscan value to perfectly compensate it. Setting the ATI's overscan to the rightmost position ends up in a too big picture which does not fit the screen. When I switch the monitor from normal mode to underscan, the picture almost fits but is still blurred (resampled).

This is the first time I'm using HDMI and until now, I thought we finally got rid of all those analogue controls for centering/zooming/shrinking the picture typical for CRTs. Yet someone had to come up with similar kind of crap for a digital interface. :pfff: 
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2011 1:48:04 PM

Try lowering the resolution of the Tv down to something like 1280x720, is the problem still there?
m
l
August 7, 2011 4:56:06 PM

The only problem I have is that I can't get a perfect 1:1 pixel mapping (i.e. sharp picture with no resampling) under 1920x1080. Everything else works as expected (1280x720 is upsampled by the display and the picture is smeared, like any non-native resolution).
m
l
August 7, 2011 5:13:33 PM

Tough problem, one question have you tried an HDMI 1.3 cable?
m
l
August 7, 2011 7:07:29 PM

The cable in not the problem, it is a high quality HDMI 1.4 one. The picture looks fine and sharp on the Windows startup screen (but only there, as mentioned above).
m
l
August 7, 2011 7:20:11 PM

Within the CCC, under one of the display properties, there is a setting for Overscan or Underscan. You'll want this to be to 0%.

You may also have to go into your TV properties menu (on the TV itself) and adjust the input settings to PC, or scan as is, or something of that sort.
m
l
August 8, 2011 5:14:29 AM

Already tried that (as I wrote above). It seems the display's overscan value is somewhere in the middle and the driver's slider is too coarse to set the correct value.
The display itself has the following settings for it: full (moderate overscan), 4:3, zoom 1, zoom 2, underscan (seems different from "just scan" by a small bit)
m
l
August 17, 2011 5:23:13 PM

Hi martel. Seems like you're an intelligent fellow, it’s unfortunate your task has been unnecessarily difficult. It really shouldn’t be. There’s has to be something not compatible.

I doubt you're using a receiver between the connection otherwise you would have mentioned but in case it was ignored to check the scaling properties there.

Also, your tv supports up to hdmi v1.3, is it possible your v1.4 hdmi cable might be causing your problem?

m
l
August 18, 2011 4:02:23 AM

I am having a similar problem myself. I have an HP notebook with an intel core i5-4210M with the intel hd graphics. I am trying to plug the hdmi out from my notebook into my samsung 1080p hdtv/monitor.

When i do this, I get a scaled picture (the start bar would be half way out of the bottom of the screen - the picture was too big) and the text and everything would not look clear like it should. When I connect to my monitor through the vga output and input however, the picture would look exactly like it should.

I have played with some settings on my monitor to get the picture too look acceptable over hdmi (reducing sharpness, and setting the picture size to "screen fit" rather than 16:9 to fix the scaling issue), but I still get better results over vga.

I use the monitor on my desk to connect to my laptop when i'm at my desk so the little details that are not exactly right over hdmi are a big issue to me. I want to use hdmi purely for the capability to carry audio and video together so I don't need to take up my headphone jack and it's simpler to use only one cable. Also, my monitor has speakers built in to it that sound better than my laptop's.

To recap, the only thing that I have been able to do to make it look semi acceptable over hdmi is adjust the settings on the monitor itself, but again outputting to vga is perfect, and I don't know why there is a difference.
m
l
August 18, 2011 6:02:36 AM

Well, I started using a VGA cable and everything is fine except I will have to use a separate cable for the audio which is not a big deal.

But all this wouldn't be necessary if ATI included the DVI-like mode (1920x1080) in the resolution list (in addition to the HDTV 1080p which causes the issues).
m
l
August 18, 2011 4:26:05 PM

Strange, there has to be something more obvious going on here. Assuming its software related might be going too far. I think it may be something wrong/not compatible with the laptop or your tv is not full hd.

I have both an hp pavilion laptop (vista) with an ati 4650 & pc (win7) with an ati 5870 both connected via hdmi to a Panasonic Viera plasma and both display flawlessly @ 1080p after setting the scan option in tv.

There’s no monkeying around with the driver peripherals, it just works. It should work for you too. Like I said it shouldn’t be this difficult, there has to be something else going on here :( 
m
l
!