Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Corsair hx750w PSU PCIE plug question.

Last response: in Components
January 7, 2012 5:51:53 AM

I recently picked up an extra Radeon 6950 to xfire with my existing one, my PSU didnt have enough 6 pin PCIE ports to cover them all so I went out and grabbed the corsair hx750w because it has enough of them with little 2 pin addons to make them 8s! This was more than enough for my GFX cards however, and this was stupidity on my part, i need another 8 pin PCIE cable for my USB3/PS2 power plug.

Now on the COrsair it has four 8 pin plugs for the ones to my GFX cards (coloured blue) and then it has six 6 pin plugs (coloured black) for sata cables and such, now i was wondering would the blue be different in terms of ampage and wattage to the black or could i plug my GFX cards into one of the black 6 pins instead of the blue and put one of the blue 8 pins into the USB power?

I really dont want to have to take this back, please help me out.

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 7, 2012 6:53:50 AM

OK. you've lost me here. by "USB power" are your referring to the 8 pin connector on the motherboard?

USB doesn't have its own power unless you have some sort of funky front IO panel you're referring to..

anyway the 4 blue connectors are pcie for your GPU. that power supply doesn't have 6 of any other connector that would even fit them. the 8 pin motherboard connector is not modular and is attached to the PSU along with the 24 pin connector.

if that doesn't help I need some more clarification what your talking about
a c 144 ) Power supply
January 7, 2012 7:19:47 AM

That has to be the CPU power plug. On the Corsair PSU's, it is actually a "4+4" plug.

Do not try to use it for a PCIe power plug. It is wired differently. Interchanging the two will result in shorting 12 volts directly to ground.
Score
Related resources
January 7, 2012 7:19:52 AM

What an idiot i am! I thought the plug for the ATX 12v Power Connector was moduler, didn't realise it was hard wired and i never even gave that plug a second look, cannot believe it haha.

Thank you so much for your help unksol, this problem is solved, next time i might pay more attention! I'm really new to this so sorry i confused you, i myself was in over my head with this but you bailed me out, big thanks!
Score
January 7, 2012 7:20:16 AM

Best answer selected by corvid1986.
Score
a b ) Power supply
January 7, 2012 7:28:29 AM

Corvid1986 said:
What an idiot i am! I thought the plug for the ATX 12v Power Connector was moduler, didn't realise it was hard wired and i never even gave that plug a second look, cannot believe it haha.

Thank you so much for your help unksol, this problem is solved, next time i might pay more attention! I'm really new to this so sorry i confused you, i myself was in over my head with this but you bailed me out, big thanks!

no problem. I kinda figured you got all excited unboxing it and looking at the cables :) 
Score
!