BG1 tutu bug: game locks in dialogue

Hi all,
trying to meet the guy from the thieves guild I head for the Splurging
Surgeon. When talking to Lusselyn there I get no option to answer and no
button to end the dialogue. Game locked. Anything I can do besides
avoiding the dialogue?
Martin
6 answers Last reply
More about tutu game locks dialogue
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Martin Wächtler wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > trying to meet the guy from the thieves guild I head for the Splurging
    > Surgeon. When talking to Lusselyn there I get no option to answer and no
    > button to end the dialogue. Game locked. Anything I can do besides
    > avoiding the dialogue?
    > Martin

    Have you tried simply pressing reply numbers? If a dialog's response
    dialog.tlk reference number doesn't exist, it will still be possible to
    navigate the dialog tree, even though you can't see anything.

    MSH
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Martin Wächtler wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > trying to meet the guy from the thieves guild I head for the Splurging
    > Surgeon. When talking to Lusselyn there I get no option to answer and no
    > button to end the dialogue. Game locked. Anything I can do besides
    > avoiding the dialogue?
    > Martin

    Are you using the Tutu Fixpack?

    - Sim
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Mark Haslam schrieb:
    > Martin Wächtler wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> trying to meet the guy from the thieves guild I head for the Splurging
    >> Surgeon. When talking to Lusselyn there I get no option to answer and
    >> no button to end the dialogue. Game locked. Anything I can do besides
    >> avoiding the dialogue?
    >> Martin
    >

    > Have you tried simply pressing reply numbers? If a dialog's response
    > dialog.tlk reference number doesn't exist, it will still be possible to
    > navigate the dialog tree, even though you can't see anything.
    >
    > MSH

    OK, pressed "1" and received a journal message "General information
    added" (in german, as I'm playing the german version). Journal entry has
    only date and time, no text.
    Martin
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    SimDing0 schrieb:
    > Martin Wächtler wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> trying to meet the guy from the thieves guild I head for the Splurging
    >> Surgeon. When talking to Lusselyn there I get no option to answer and
    >> no button to end the dialogue. Game locked. Anything I can do besides
    >> avoiding the dialogue?
    >> Martin
    >

    > Are you using the Tutu Fixpack?
    >
    > - Sim

    Yes, used tutu v4 and fixpack v5. Still though it was hard to read the
    DOS screen during the conversion there seemed to be some error messages.
    Don't know if one of them is responsible.
    Martin
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Martin Wächtler wrote:
    > Mark Haslam schrieb:
    >
    >> Martin Wächtler wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> trying to meet the guy from the thieves guild I head for the
    >>> Splurging Surgeon. When talking to Lusselyn there I get no option to
    >>> answer and no button to end the dialogue. Game locked. Anything I can
    >>> do besides avoiding the dialogue?
    >>> Martin
    >>

    >> Have you tried simply pressing reply numbers? If a dialog's response
    >> dialog.tlk reference number doesn't exist, it will still be possible
    >> to navigate the dialog tree, even though you can't see anything.
    >>
    >> MSH
    >

    > OK, pressed "1" and received a journal message "General information
    > added" (in german, as I'm playing the german version). Journal entry has
    > only date and time, no text.
    > Martin

    That's because the conversation 'tree' is referencing text that doesn't
    really exist. The way the game handles dialog is by splitting it into
    two parts.

    The first part handles the structure and results of the conversation.
    For example it will list the number of responses, which responses lead
    to which sub-responses, etc. And it will also list what the in-game
    result is of a particular response (some responses cause creatures to
    become enemies, some give the party an item, some start an in game clock
    that will count down until another event happens, etc).

    The second part is the actual text of the conversation. The dialog.tlk
    file has all the dialog text in the game. Each bit of dialog is given a
    unique reference number. The first part above simply point to this
    reference number when it runs the conversation. It doesn't know
    anything about the actual text, it just knows the number.

    It looks like in your game this particular conversation has a valid
    first part, but the reference numbers don't point to a valid second
    part. Sometimes the reference number doesn't exist in the dialog.tlk
    file and you get a blank, sometimes it points to the wrong entry and you
    get an arbitrary response.

    You can probably walk through the entire conversation by pressing random
    numbers until you exit the converstation, but you may not know what the
    result is afterwords. This probably means you can't finish the thieves
    guild sub-quest. Kind of a bummer, but you should be able to finish the
    rest of the game.

    MSH
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Martin Wächtler <sandbox@familie-waechtler.de> wrote in message
    > SimDing0 schrieb:
    > > Martin Wächtler wrote:

    > >> Hi all,
    > >> trying to meet the guy from the thieves guild I head for the Splurging
    > >> Surgeon. When talking to Lusselyn there I get no option to answer and
    > >> no button to end the dialogue. Game locked. Anything I can do besides
    > >> avoiding the dialogue?
    > >> Martin

    > > Are you using the Tutu Fixpack?

    > Yes, used tutu v4 and fixpack v5. Still though it was hard to read the
    > DOS screen during the conversion there seemed to be some error messages.
    > Don't know if one of them is responsible.

    The Tutu conversion logs all those messages - look for a file called
    tutu.log or something (the name is longer than that but it's pretty
    obvious) in your BG2 dir.

    CC

Games Bug Video Games