Sign in with
Your question

Hitachi 174SXWB Review

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 6, 2003 4:32:19 PM

Well my CM174 has arrived and as promised i will give u my opinon!!

Well im not a xpert like Gosharks or Flame but ive been using P.C's on and off for 14 years. (17 if u count my Amgia 500!!!!!) So i know what a good display should look like even though im not to up on TFT's.

Ok the big question:

Is it worth spending nearly 400 Quid on this monitor??????

YES!

This monitor is simply Awesome.
It is a well known fact that TFT monitors cant display as much colour as CRT's....Well this TFT blows my old CRT away for colour. Simply amazing colors and crystal clear text! Sure u will have to turn the brightness down and max out on the resoultion but its well worth fiddling about to get the perfect picture!

Now on to gaming, well morrowwind runs fine...no ghosting/streaks! I then put on the 3dmk2001 benchmark.

Well all i can say is WOW.... Dragothic looked simply Astonishing..superb..Amazing (Hell just insert ur favourite adjective!).

Another bonus is no dead pixels and no eyestrain as of yet!

Seriously if ur looking for a gaming TFT look no further i guarantee u will not b dissapointed.

The step up from a 19 inch CRT to this monitor amazed even me and i was well dubious of splashing out 400 notes.

So unless u r a perfectionist go and get one!!!

Hope this has been of help to every one!

More about : hitachi 174sxwb review

March 6, 2003 5:07:08 PM

Thank you for sharing it with us. I've been also trying to say that CML174 is great monitor which I own now for over 3 month, and the people who said it's not good, probably never been satisfied with anything in their life.

Yes, it has it's own set of problems, but it's still the best LCD monitor for gaming and DVD viewing.

Btw, speaking of perfectionists, I don't think they are very happy in this new digital world, because there are very few products that are perfected.
March 6, 2003 5:47:15 PM

"Yes, it has it's own set of problems, but it's still the best LCD monitor for gaming and DVD viewing." -zlcd

What are these problems you mention?

-Erik
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 6, 2003 6:02:24 PM

Please don’t put me in the same class as Flame. I went to college and have 20 years of experience in the industry.

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>
March 6, 2003 6:15:14 PM

Meant no disrespect Gosharks.

U are the King of monitors but Flame knows more then most other ppl.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by oldskool on 03/06/03 03:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 6, 2003 11:16:58 PM

which college btw? also what major? Interesting to know how u got into monitors.

Hilbert space is a big place.
March 7, 2003 5:36:41 AM

problems...

not that it bothers me a lot, but it's too bright, I have it set on 0 and it seems ok, although I wish it was less bright. Another thing is that I have one with dead sub pixel :( 

but I am still waiting for 19 inch panels to come out with 16 ms (preferable 1600x1200 resolution) thats when I replace that monitor, because 17 is just too small for my taste. (I used to own 19 inch VX900 LCD)
March 7, 2003 12:29:59 PM

hi zlcd,
just a question: if u had a 19inc lcd with 1600x1200 resolution... wouldn't everything be too small for reading text for example?
i had a 19 inch crt at 1024x768, which was perfect size for me for everyday use,... now i'm with the cml174@1280x1024 which i got used to but things are a little small sometimes ...
i know i can increase font size in appearance settings, but it doesn't apply to everything,
so my question is:
how do you configure your desktop in a confortable way for your sight?

btw: what i really love about the cml174 is that i have no more eyestrain (i had a professional 19'' crt running at 1024x768@120Hz ... i had too much eyestrain with it) LCD's are another technology and the only way i can describe it is that you get a very different sensation when watching stuff in an lcd monitor (much more relaxed, even if there is a little more brightness).

cheers,
kyuss.
March 7, 2003 3:00:49 PM

I do not recommend posting personal information in a public forum. You should know that if you don’t be very careful out there.

How you get into monitors is simple, go to college, get an EE degree or better, go to work for a company that makes monitors to practice your trade and learn from the older more experienced engineers. Its that simple.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Harwdare Engineer
MonitorsDirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gosharks on 03/07/03 09:03 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 7, 2003 3:19:27 PM

Don't you think it has bad viewing angles, so bad that the image is "uneven", and it doesent matter how you look at it. Also it has hard to show dark and bright shades.

Still I'm pretty satisfied.
March 7, 2003 8:40:12 PM

to me the higher resolution the better, I did own laptop one time and 15" had 1400x1050 resolution that was small, but for 19" monitor it should be fine. I had 19" LCD before and 1280x1074 wasn't enough for me... but again, that's just my preferences...
March 7, 2003 8:44:38 PM

What I meant is what specifically interested you. Just curious.

March 7, 2003 8:51:53 PM

About the res vs size. It depends on several factors- one of the main I guess is how good your vision is (people may argue that glasses fix their visions but in many cases it's not 20/20, but good enough). Anyway, if you have 20/20, you shouldn't have any trouble seeing 1600x1200 on a 19" LCD- it's even pretty easy on a 19" CRT (like I said, eyesight matter- I was testing my friend's P95F+ and could read everything fine from far away on @ 1600x1200 while he had trouble seeing it up close). It's also a matter of how used to it you are- at first the res may seem ridiculous b/c you're not used to it but in time you grow to like it and it looks fine. Then there's how good the monitor is (how sharp). Obviously the sharper, the higher res u can do and see text more clearly. On windows (which os you running) you can set icon and text size to accomdate what you want.

!