My Network just broke and I dont know why!!

DeViLgunner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Ok I have had the wierdest Internet problems tonight that I have ever seen. Last night when I turned off my computer my Verizon DSL internet worked great. Today when I turned on my computer I had no connection.

So I tried all the usual networking fixes, but none worked. When I ran IPconfig it had no IP’s at all. I uninstalled and reinstalled the network drivers and device about 5 times with no luck. I am using a Netgear 5 port switch. I tried an old D link network card and it found the internet. So I figured there was a hardware issue with my built in nForce network card.

Now this is the weird part, I took a Netgear network card out of one of my old computers and installed it in mine. It had the same problem the nForce network did. Then I installed the D link again and there was the internet again. I know that the netgear card works 100%.

Ok so I thought it might be my switch causing the problem so I tried out my Linksys wireless router with no luck. I then tried my Hawking 5 port switch and I have the same problem. My computer will only run the internet with the D link in it, my other 2 computers also worked fine yesterday. Now my other 2 computer have no IP address and cannot connect.

Also let me point out that my IP used to start with a 4. now it starts with a 71.

I am running Windows XP using a Soltek SL-K8AN2E-GR nForce 3 board.

Is this issue my fault somehow even tho I made no changes since yesterday that could of caused this, or could it be Verizons fault somehow?

riser

Illustrious
Did you do anything like Windows updates? They like to give out drivers that aren't the most recent..
I would be looking towards hardware conflicts. It is possible that your drivers might need updated or rolled back to a previous version.

Riser

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
I have delt with that type of problem before. A new nic (to that computer) won't work-even though it came from a computer that had same OS and or hardware. You may also have (you don't say) a bad on board nic-now-ie it just failed.
Personally, I say continue to go with what works.