Slow 50x CD-Rom

G

I need help with a new CD-ROM I just purchased and installed. I installed the 50x Delta CD-Rom in my K62(500) Asus (P5A-B) custom computer. However when I am playing games that use the CD for sound or video, it seems to studder for up to 1 minute on certain spots.

It really sucks when you are playing Madden 2001 and you keep getting delay of game penalties. Now either the CD-ROM stinks, or I have some other problems. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.

PS, I did not have this problem with my 24x that I had before, but come to think of it, that may be what was happening with it when I thought the drive went cuploot. This is what I have done to try to fix.
1. Made sure DMA was enabled in both BIOS and Win98.
2. Scandisk and Disk Defrag.
3. Reinstalled Win98 on top of old software.
4. Checked for any updates from Delta website.
5. Checked for new drivers for SBLive, MB, Voodoo2, and Elsa Erazor X.
6. Tried to download Windows Update, but halted to try to sleep.

G

Try a different IDE cable.. Similar but probably not quite the same behavior as yours. It's a long shot. But once I replaced a CD-Rom with two different models (and returned one of the new ones for another new of the same model).. just to end up realizing it was the freaking IDE cable. Quick lesson learned. Again it's a longshot, but if a drive starts acting up (I'm assuming it was not showing this behavior at one time) and a new drive does the same thing, you can probably bet it's not the drive.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***