Sign in with
Your question

Questions about upgrading with NZXT Phantom 410 Case

Last response: in CPUs
January 7, 2012 7:24:43 AM

Soon, I will be upgrading my case to a NZXT Phatom 410 Mid Tower Case.

My questions are as follows:
I was planning to purchase an Asus Z68 Motherboard ($169 - newegg) and i5-2500k ($219 - newegg) with this case. However, I currently have a i3-550 (3.4Ghz - small OC - stock heatsink) and it does the job for me fine with whatever I throw at it. Though I cannot run some games on Ultra (ie: Starcraft II), I know it's my video card. (Currently a HD 5670 1GB) This does not bother me at all as long as I can run it on high with constant 60fps+.

Should I go that extra mile to purchase the motherboard + cpu with the case? Or should I just simply buy the case for future expansions and upgrades that may come?

Other thoughts:

If I wanted to run games at a much higher detail and apply AA and AF, should I go with an EVGA 560 Ti? (roughly $250) Nothing too high end, but something better than my 5670.

Please do not suggest 5770. I have a Sapphire 5770 laying around which apparently does not want to run with my computer.
a b à CPUs
a c 107 V Motherboard
January 7, 2012 7:46:18 AM

Case + Video card.
m
l
January 7, 2012 7:52:12 AM

Well, for a start, that CPU will be great for SC2. Secondly, the 560Ti isn't bad, but I would suggest a 570 if you can fork out for it, you'll notice a difference. Don't go multi-GPU if this is for SCII though, even if people tell you, it's horrible.
Yes, you should buy teh CPU/ Mobo, it's well worth it. Also, any particular reason you want a phantom? I don't like them personally, and the cooling isn't up to my standards but that's your choice.
m
l
January 7, 2012 8:06:22 PM

FtsArTek said:
Well, for a start, that CPU will be great for SC2. Secondly, the 560Ti isn't bad, but I would suggest a 570 if you can fork out for it, you'll notice a difference. Don't go multi-GPU if this is for SCII though, even if people tell you, it's horrible.
Yes, you should buy teh CPU/ Mobo, it's well worth it. Also, any particular reason you want a phantom? I don't like them personally, and the cooling isn't up to my standards but that's your choice.

It's "appealing" to say the least. That may be the only reason I may be getting one because it defeats my current case which is NOT a gaming case for sufficient cooling.

I've been wanting the i5-2500k + Asus z68 for awhile now. It's just that I feel that I may not need an upgrade in CPU if my i3 is doing everything fine. But considering that if I do upgrade to that mobo/cpu, It would expand my components for later upgrades.

Edited in:

I just took a look at Tigerdirect and for their prices, I'm able to get the mobo+cpu+case+corsair h60 for an even cheaper price. (roughly $50 cheaper - would be $100+ if not for the h60 thrown in)
m
l
!