Replaced my cpu and now no bios

philljk

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Hello,

I have replaced the CPU in my Abit KN9s motherboard from an AMD 64x2 4400 to an AMD 64x2 7500 (no great raising of the bar). Straight after I had completed this I turned on the computer only to find that it would not display any bios or do anything except:

Power supply powers up
CPU fan spining
FP lights are on and power button works
HDD begins spinning

No beeping was seaed is coming from the computer and I have tried to strip back to just power, motherboard and cpu. Still no beeping

I did use safety precautions when installing the chip and have made sure that it is seated correctly.

I have tried adding ram during stripped back time and still no beeps.

power supply is relatively new and gives out 480w power so I do not think that it would be this.
Chip was bought from a recognised uk supplier and delivered undamaged. RAM was only bought yesterday and worked fine with the old chip yesterday.

So then guys, do ya think Ive been sent a dud chip? If this is the case how do I get the computer working with the old chip again as I have replaced it back in, reset the bios and still nothing works now.

That leads me to suspect the current BIOS does not recognize the new CPU.

Sadly, Abit is no longer in business and their website is going to shut down next month (Feb 2012). You can go to their website to see what CPUs your motherboard support and see if there is a BIOS update. But that is really doubtful since your motherboard seems to be a bit old (socket AM2 I guess).

I'm pretty sure you will need to return that CPU since it is "too new" for your motherboard.

philljk

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Any ideas on how to get my old CPU working again, as I have tried replacing the new for old and it is doing the same thing - power but no bios?

philljk

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
NO fears my knowledgable buddies, the trick was in replacing the chip and also putting back the cmos jumper!!!!! schoolboy error......