Upgrade a q9650 to an i5-2500k for $270?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshh967

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I currently own a q9650, 8 gb.

Theres a good deal at my microcenter for a new i5-2500k, an asus z68 board, and memory for around $270? Is it worth it?

By the way I have also been toying around with the idea of dropping down to 4gb from my 8gb currently...

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Yeah, unless you want to keep the Q9650 selling it on ebay is a good idea to lower your overall cost. I would probably start the bid at $75 or so since I assume you will be a new seller with 0 feedback of any sort.

As for the Asus Z68 motherboard... even if it does not allow you to overclock as much as other Z68 motherboards, it still sounds like a good deal.
Depends on the board .... the cheapest Asus Z68 board i'd buy is $200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

The best 2500k buy on newegg rt now is this one ?

$365 w/ 2500k after $20 MIR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.797221

What's feature is drawing you to Z68 ?

http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/difference-between-h67-p67-z68-and-h61-chipsets-a-22.html

Z68
Launched 5 months after the P67 and H67 chipset the Z68 chipset combines the advantages of the H67 and P67 Chipset so that overclocking, dual dedicated graphics cards and use of the integrated CPU graphics is available. Whilst on the surface it would seem that this would be the chipset to go for, how many users that have 2 dedicated graphics cards will actually want to use the onboard graphics when they already have 2 more powerful graphics cards in their system anyway?

The only real advantage is for users that wish to access the HD graphics features such as quick sync, but considering it’s only supported by very few transcoding programs and there are not many people out there that need or will want to transcode, it makes it almost pointless to choose Z68 over a P67 chipset.

Same applies to users that want to overclock the CPU but use the onboard graphics card; it’s a very limited market.

Finally, another feature of a Z68 chipset is known as SSD caching which is where it allows the use of a small (say 10 or 20 GB) Solid state hard drive to act as a cache for a larger ‘traditional’ hard disk. If you are already planning the use of a Solid State drive this feature is redundant.

If you can’t afford a decent size SSD (40GB+) then there are more cost effective ways around using a small SSD and SSD cashing like spending less on a motherboard, (H67 chipset or even a P67 chipset) and putting the saved money into a decent size SSD.

Yeah, unless you want to keep the Q9650 selling it on ebay is a good idea to lower your overall cost. I would probably start the bid at $75 or so since I assume you will be a new seller with 0 feedback of any sort.

As for the Asus Z68 motherboard... even if it does not allow you to overclock as much as other Z68 motherboards, it still sounds like a good deal.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.