Solved

900-1100$ Gaming Build -- Need tips/insight/advice/etc

budget: 900-1100 before rebates
buyer: newegg or amazon
old parts: psu, mouse, keyboard, headphones, os, monitor
gaming res: 1680x1020
use: gaming, recording gameplay, and music is what I'd probably spend most of my time doing on it

I've never built a PC before, so advice/tips/insights/etc would be greatly appreciated. I plan on recycling my (PSU) 750 Corsair TX from my current rig. I made another thread last night, and was directed to waiting out the end of this month. And I agree with that analysis, but I was wanting to at least to start making out the skeleton/shape of my new rig(well on paper anyways) I won't be able to order until late October or early November. However I figured I could get an idea of what memory, hdd, case, etc I could go with, and gain insight on possible upgrading paths.

HDD
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
60$

CPU
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
220$

CASE
Corsair Carbide Series 500R White Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
160$

MOBO
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
135$

MEMORY
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
52$

GPU
EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
250$

HEATSINK
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
35$

cheap cd/dvd drive
20$

Total 936-ish$ I rounded some #s up to make them more even. My game plan was a 1000$-ish pc that would have a nice upgrade path for cpu/gpu. I'm not much of an OC-er. I can google and read the guides to change the values in an add-on UI(like Afterburner stuff), but I would probably never venture into the BIOS and tinker with things. I'm not a big fan of SLI/X-FIRE, and I'm worried of the heat and power problems because I plan on recycling my Corsair 750 TX. Plus I don't know if I could get adequate cooling without investing another 50-100$. I will probably be looking to upgrade it again possibly of March next year(CPU/GPU) if needed for all that nice eye candy when playing Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, The Old Republic, etc. I'm not a big fan of BF3 well I liked the game, but not battlelog and Origin, so it is unlikely I will purchase it.

Anyways any tweaks/suggestions would be great. I'm going to be afk for a while, I have a 8hr plane ride back home pretty soon. So I hope I gave enough details.
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 1100 gaming build tips insight advice
  1. Get a Cheaper case and a better video card.
    These are suggestions related to gaming. There is nothing wrong with your selections but you can have a better gaming experience with a better card.
    Take the 69 dollars from case budget and apply to 560ti making it a 570
  2. Get a blu-ray drive, its only $40 more

REgarding case, I think thast a very cool one. If you want to check other options, check www.bitfenix.com and www.raidmax.com
  3. Wel honnestly I would look to something a little nicer with your budget.
    What is your style ? I like black and boxy and in the 100 dollar range there are some really cool cases.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008
    This is my style function over form.

or cool looking. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146054
  4. I like the Corsair one personally. IDK If I have a style, I care more about the longevity of the parts inside the case rather than how cool it looks.
  5. bump
  6. Well any thoughts on the changes I put up ?
  7. I like the
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811139008
    case.

That frees up 50$, but I'm not sure if investing in a 580 would be wise considering I don't mind to upgrade later(March). I really want to avoid xfire or sli. I don't think a 6970 would be worth it either. I think the 560 Ti makes the most sense for me now. As a temporary card that can handle plenty of games, and wouldn't make my wallet hate me when I replace it in March or whatever.
  8. I just got this case and its great. Lots of room inside and USB 3.0 front ports. The blue accents aren't for everyone though. Just throwing it out there. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163181&Tpk=silverstone%20ps06
  9. bumpage just got my money, so I can order whenever. Any tips/ideas/comments on the build?
  10. Best answer
    gaming res: 1680x1020

A 560ti should be able to handle anything you throw at it for that resolution.. down the road you could add a second one or pick up a newer-gen GPU when you need to upgrade.
  11. SO TRUE
  12. Later if he needs more, he will already have it.
    at 1100 dollars a 560ti is aiming low is for a Gaming PC at that price.
  13. No need to spend more than what he has there.. I would personally keep the nicer case and not buy more GPU than he will use. The case will last for a very long time as long as its cleaned semi-regularly, and until the monitor is replaced, a 560ti should do everything at perfectly good fps
  14. Then why not get an p2 x4 its more CPU than he will ever need for gaming ? Right ?
    It's two different classes and at 1100 bucks you can be sure if he wants to GAME than he will do that. Hey Im just spending other peoples money because I have enough money to get 560ti myself, but if it were possible to save another 120 id be getting the card I recommended.
  15. The price difference between the 570 and 560ti is not worth it for gaming at 1680.. not sure what you're getting so upset about
  16. The value is more present in the card in place of the CPU,
    you can get a p2 x4 955 @ 119 or 159 for the 970 for about 70 dollars cheaper
    and it will put out the same amout of frames with the 560ti
    so why put the money on a part that isn't going to improve gaming In a gaming machine ? Not mad bro just making sense.
  17. "A 560ti should be able to handle anything you throw at it for that resolution.. down the road you could add a second one or pick up a newer-gen GPU when you need to upgrade."

That is kind of what I've been considering doing. I know it isn't cost efficient, but I have a friend who will buy my hand me down parts for a decent amount. I plan to upgrade the GPU/Monitor March-ish.
  18. If you already have an outlet for the 560ti in March (it will still be a great card then) then that seems like the perfect plan for you
  19. Best answer selected by _strive_.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product