Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sony vgn s58gpb update graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 7, 2011 1:12:53 AM

Hi all,
I am looking to upgrade the original Nvidia external graphics card on my Sony Vaio VGNS58GPB. What would be the best card to upgrade to? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Neha
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2011 3:11:36 AM

Being a laptop I really doubt you could easily upgrade it. Laptop GPUs tend to be there permanently unless you could find a part that fits in your system, like that Nvidia chip
m
l
August 7, 2011 4:14:36 AM

Darn... I was hoping this might not be the case as it is not an integrated card... I suppose i was trying to hang onto the laptop for sentimental reasons... silly huh? Thanks Mister G, was hoping someone on the forum had experience with an upgrade of this kind...
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2011 10:32:42 AM

It isn't integrated? Where was the graphics card placed then? Even if there's an Nvidia chip inside you would need an exact part that fits inside and laptop designs aren't standardized. I recommend looking through more Sony forums to see if anybody else has experience with this.
m
l
August 10, 2011 3:30:18 AM

Thanks- Perhaps worded badly- it is an Gforce GO 6400 external grahics card- not those ones integarted with the intel chipset on the motherboard. Sign Off the Sony forums I go...
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 12:26:37 PM

Yesterday I learned that this company makes external graphics enclosures for notebooks. However that system would only work with Expresscard slots, which your laptop doesn't support (Cardbus). If you could open up your graphics enclosure you might be able to upgrade the chip inside.
August 14, 2011 12:46:12 AM

Best answer selected by neighp.
m
l
August 14, 2011 12:47:05 AM

Brilliant! Thanks for your help!
m
l
!