Need advice on budget AMD gaming rig

I would like a gaming rig similar, if not precise to the specs on the Sept. $500 rig. I wish to be gaming, but I honestly don't care to much about high resolution at full settings. Being able to play most games at stable fps for a decent buck is my goal. I tweaked the September build a bit, adding the OS as well as a different power supply and fans. Can I get some opinions about the goods and bads, as well as any better choices I could make. I am an avid gaming, I convert videos every week or so, and watch movies as well. I plan on using two monitors within the next several months. If anything else is needed, just ask me. Thanks ahead of time for any assistance provided, as this will be the first PC I will build and I will need help in making my choices.

Relevant information:
[cpp]
Approximate Purchase Date: December 2011
Budget Range: ~600 w/o OS, ~700(with OS)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, general random operations (winrar,encoding, etc.,) surfing the net, watching movies/streams
Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers,monitor. To be bought at a later date, unless there's a great deal on some
Preferred Website for Parts: newegg.com
Country of Origin: USA
Parts Preferences: I would like to try a pure amd gaming rig, so not asking for anything Intel or Nvidia
Overclocking: Yes, in the sense that it would probably be a waste if I didn't. Thus, if its as simple as I have read with this CPU, ill overclock.
SLI or Crossfire: Not needed at this moment.
Monitor Resolution: 1440x900 is the resolution of my temp monitor. Will purchase a 1920x1080 monitor next year.
Additional Comments: As long as I have a stable PC for a decent price I am willing to give some lenience. Open to any and all comments in regards to the September $500 budget rig, as its my foundation.[/cpp]

This is my tweaked parts list so far:
NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $49.99 /$35.99 -14 off instant
Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $54.99
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor $119.99
XCLIO GREATPOWER X14S4P4 600W ATX12V 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $84.99
SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-222AB $16.99
SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card $179.99/$159.99 after mail-in rebate
ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard $59.99
Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $44.99
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit OEM $99.99
COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP 120mm Case Fan $20.99
Grand Total: $718.90

This is without S&H, and that is intentional. The S&H isn't to be factored into the budget I have set. The budget is solely for money spent on the computer parts.
9 answers Last reply
More about need advice budget gaming
  1. Fairly good build but you can change some parts for more reliable Performance

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 (Much more reliable brand) Price: $69.99 [$20 Mail-in rebate]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) Price: $51.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233180

With these New parts Total would be $700.90

Also when you say that You wish to OC you do have to consider getting a better Heatsink.

I'd say go for the CM Hyper 212+ (Best Sub $30 Heat sink) Price: $29.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
  2. Mastervivi10 said:
    Fairly good build but you can change some parts for more reliable Performance

CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 (Much more reliable brand) Price: $69.99 [$20 Mail-in rebate]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) Price: $51.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233180

With these New parts Total would be $700.90

Also when you say that You wish to OC you do have to consider getting a better Heatsink.

I'd say go for the CM Hyper 212+ (Best Sub $30 Heat sink) Price: $29.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. Your advice has been duly noted, and I have made changes to my hard-copy list of parts. I like the changes you have proposed. :)

Edit: Should I consider buying thermal grease? Actually, I think its a given that I should. Which paste provides the best bang for the buck? Also, should this case have plenty of air-room considering the things I will be fitting into it. And will it provide a stable environment, temperature-wise?
    Edit #2:The case seems to have sold out on Newegg.com shortly after I posted this :na:. I guess I am in search of another case that is just as good as the previous, when considering air-flow and space, while maintaining a decent price range. Suggestions are welcomed, just in case I choose not to order the case from another website.
  3. Shouldn't need to buy Thermal Paste since Most products bring samples for use.
    The case looks rather good and since you have opted to buy an extra 120 fan you'll get some good cooling.

I run 2 COOLER MASTER R4 Fans on my Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and I get fantastic Temps on it (I live in Santo Domingo so it's VERY hot all year, normally my room temperature is 32C) able to OC My I5-2500k to 4.5 at 1.38v and still get 70C temps which is okay.
  4. Mastervivi10 said:
    Shouldn't need to buy Thermal Paste since Most products bring samples for use.
    The case looks rather good and since you have opted to buy an extra 120 fan you'll get some good cooling.

I run 2 COOLER MASTER R4 Fans on my Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and I get fantastic Temps on it (I live in Santo Domingo so it's VERY hot all year, normally my room temperature is 32C) able to OC My I5-2500k to 4.5 at 1.38v and still get 70C temps which is okay.

I see. Sounds a lot like my room, so my temps should be fine. Thanks again for the info.
  5. you dont need 8 gig of RAM for gaming 2x2 is enough . Make it 1.5 volt

The motherboard is a dead end and cant take future AMD bulldozer processors . Spend more and get a board with a 970 series chipset

there are better psu's for much less
  6. Outlander_04 said:
    you dont need 8 gig of RAM for gaming 2x2 is enough . Make it 1.5 volt

The motherboard is a dead end and cant take future AMD bulldozer processors . Spend more and get a board with a 970 series chipset

there are better psu's for much less

As far as performance goes, would this RAM affect my performance if I chose to keep it at 2 x 4gb? And I don't currently plan on upgrading the cpu when Bulldozer comes about, though. Do you think its a fine MB considering this? In your opinion, which PSU would be a more viable choice? Thanks for the tips :D
  7. I think a bulldozer quad core will be close in price to the phenom 955 and will overclock a lot more. It's only 2 more days for bulldozer, so just wait on the processor judgement till then.
  8. lozz08 said:
    I think a bulldozer quad core will be close in price to the phenom 955 and will overclock a lot more. It's only 2 more days for bulldozer, so just wait on the processor judgement till then.

Good point. I will be looking at Bulldozer then in the very near future it seems. By the way, I have read that I'll be needing 8.26 inches of width inside my case to use the Hyper 212. It seems the Gamma is about 7.48 inches wide, so I will be forced to use another case. Someone correct me if I am wrong please. If you see a nice case, let me know.
  9. Anyone else have any comments about this build? Also, since Bulldozer is peeking out, would a bundle like this be better for me to choose?
    FX-6100 Bundle at TigerDirect.com
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Gaming Systems Product