Good Setup for 3d animation and Game Design?

RedCoreStudios

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I'm looking to buy a new computer, and I'm having to build one myself unfortunately... I'm not sure if I'm even posting this in the right place so correct me if I'm wrong...

I know enough about computers to build it and set everything up myself, but I do not know enough to pick out the parts that will run best for what I do. I do 3d animation and game design as well as film editing and pretty much anything pertaining to graphics and film.

I need help with a good system that will fit my needs. I have around $3000 to spend but I can go over a few hundred more if I need to. I'd preferably need it in this case ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811322019&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Cases+(Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-Sentey-_-11322019 ) but I'm open to suggestions...

It needs to have ALOT of rendering capability and keep reasonably cool as I will be required to leave it on for long periods of time when rendering...

Thanks in advance for any help!!

(I'm kind of at a loss for what to do, seeing as the guy building the computer for me decided he didn't want to help at the last minute...)

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
I can see a few options:

You could newegg
Intel i2600k
z68 mobo,
corsair just released some 8g ramsticks so 4 of those for 32gbs of ram.
or some 16gbs of the best you're willing to get
then an intel, or Crucial ssd or 2, along with some traditional hard drives for longer term storage.

or

Just buy a workstation from Hp or someone, for ECC memory.

or

Wait till this q4 or next q1-2012 for the new Intel chipset, for Quad channel memory, which would be ssswwwweeeet for some rendering.

You'll probably want Nvidia graphics whatever the option, as it's more likely to be taken advantage of in 3d animation.

And you'll want Hyper-Threading for sure as well.