AMD A8 APU + onboard graphics

yosecretsquirrel

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Hello,
So I'm considering buying an AMD A8 Proc and a FM1 board that already has AMD 6000 series O/B graphics. My question is can the o/b graphics of the APU be xfired with the MB's O/B graphics? If not, why not.

No it cannot. The modern idea of onboard graphics is much different from a few years ago.

The motherboard manufacturer use to use the chipset paramaters to create a chip that allows a processor to generate images.
This required alot of translation and used much of the systems resources. RAM, available bandwidth and just plain CPU usage.

Today ALL modern processors have a dedicated GPU core that specializes in processing and generating graphics.

So there is no onboard motherboard "translator" graphics on an FM1 board as the GPU does the work. It would also not make sense to do it in such a way as any CPU graphics core on an APU would be much more powerful than motherboard chipset graphics.

It is very possible to Xfire a discreet graphics card like the HD65xx series with the A8 to improve graphics capability.

yosecretsquirrel

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Ok well thanks. I guess that would be too much to ask for. Still it seems odd that the MB maker specs the board as having 6000 series if it depends on the APU/CPU for graphics as not all FM1 cpus have the 6000 series.

Since FM1 ONLY works with APU's with HD6xxx Graphics. It makes sense.

But yeah don't think they should double market it.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Bottom line, APUs cannot XFire with a GPU on the motherboard because there is no GPU on an FM1 motherboard.

BTW, all FM1 chips have graphics, the model that has no integrated graphics seems to have the graphics side disabled.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103945

It still has the same max TDP of the 3650, so the GPU still exists. Makes you wonder if it can be "unlocked" like some AMD chips cores.