Sign in with
Your question

Recently upgraded Graphics Card and CPU, Computer constantly crashing

Last response: in CPUs
January 7, 2012 7:56:15 PM

(forgive me about the spelling mistakes, it seems IE doesn't have a built in spell check)

Hello! Recently I upgraded my CPU (from a Phenom II X3 710 to a Phenom II X4 960T BE), Video card (from a Saphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 to a Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 560 Ti), and Power Supply ( from a cheap bluestar 680 Watt to a Corsair CX500).

Coming to understnad that switching to and from the compeating graphics companies tends to be a pain, I formated my computer, installed the new graphics card, CPU, and Power Supply, and installed Windows. Everything seemed to be fine for a bit (updates were installing as I was restoring my backed up filed and programs), but then it seemed to hang on one of the updates. I restarted my computer, figuring it was a bad updated. It hung there, so I figured that I would shut down the computer, and format if need be. I restarted the computer, tried a system restore and it failed to fix any problems. Figuring it was the update, I reformated again.

Now, 4 formats later, each having varrying levels of success, I noticed the errors were preogressivly becoming worse. Random Blue screens, constant crashing or freezing during games (when I though I had gotten it to work), Boot locks, Windows 7 Installation disk not starting up, the Nvidia drivers seemingly not loading (I tried 4 diffrent versions of drivers during all of this, and they all seem to just roll back and I'm in an uncomfortable 400x600 resolution), I figured there was something wrong with one of the new components. I decided to go back to my old Video card first, since that was easier to replace. I was still having some problems, but it was no where near as unstable as before (no longer randomly blue screening). One of the updates did hang, and iI couldn't do a system restore, so I had to update, aqnd I am about to go and install the updates to see if they stick this time.

Does this sound like something is wrong with the Video card? It sounds more like something with the CPU or the memory, but, I'm not quite sure how to go about testing this. I really don't want to have to go through the pain I have troubleshooting and then just formattign the computer over and over just to figure this out. My system was perfectly stable before the upgrade, so that leads me to belive it is one of the new components.

Any advice would be apriciated.
January 7, 2012 8:31:56 PM

the 560ti has been notorious for problems when it was first released, but new drivers fixed problems for most people,
i would check your memory the increased stress of your faster system might have shown up a problem with your memory,
i would go into bios and set your memory to manafacture settings and see if that helps,
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 8:35:20 PM

The first thing that I would do is to run MEMTEST86 to be sure that your memory is not an issue -- it is free and always an easy first step.

Then I would not do any more system restore efforts, but do a complete clean re-installation with the latest NVDIA driver.

You can test the new components by installing your old components and adding one new one at a time to determine if it is a hardware issue. You can also just do a safe mode boot by holding down F8, which will bypass the video driver and other unnecessary stuff to see if that is an issue. If Memtest runs okay it is not your memory and very unlikely to be the CPU.
m
l
Related resources
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 255 U Graphics card
January 7, 2012 8:50:39 PM

Post your complete system specs.

Are you sure your motherboard is compatible with the 960T? It is a relatively new CPU and it sounds like you might have an older motherboard. Did you update to the newest BIOS before upgrading the CPU?

Did you install the latest chipset drivers from the motherboard manufacturers website after Windows install?
m
l
January 7, 2012 11:57:27 PM

Sorry about not posting my Specs; I'm not sure why I didn't think to post them.

System Specs (after upgrades):
BIOSTAR A870U3 AM3 ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600

Old:
AMD Phenom II X3 710
Saphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 512Mb

New:
AMD Phenom II X4 960T BE
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 560 Ti (not OC edition)

My Motherboard is relativly new (I just got it in November). My system seems stable now, but, I will run the MEMTEST86 to be sure before trying my Videocard again.

I will also double check the drivers I installed for my Motherboard; I may of installed older ones by mistake.

Thank you all for your replies!

m
l
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 255 U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 12:12:01 AM

Hate to tell you but the 960T is not on the supported CPU list. The latest BIOS is dated 1-19-2011 so that does not help either. If you continue to have problems then the processor not being supported is likely the cause. Always a good idea to check the list especially with a newer processor.

http://206.108.48.60/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=52...
m
l
January 8, 2012 2:38:23 AM

anort3 said:
Hate to tell you but the 960T is not on the supported CPU list. The latest BIOS is dated 1-19-2011 so that does not help either. If you continue to have problems then the processor not being supported is likely the cause. Always a good idea to check the list especially with a newer processor.

http://206.108.48.60/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=52...

Shoot... Well, ran MEMTEST86+ and got tons of errors, so, it probably is something with the CPU.

I'm going to exchange the motherboard for a different one that will support this CPU (Amazon will only give me 80% back if I understand their return policy). I spent $70 on it, and I'm willign to add about $20-30 onto that for a new one (though, I'd prefer not to have to spend any more for one). Can anyone recommend a good one to get given my specs and price range?
m
l
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 255 U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 3:13:52 AM

Memtest was giving you memory errors? I am pretty sure memtest errors would just mean bad memory and have nothing to do with the CPU.

The 960T does have an integrated memory controller though so maybe that with the lack of motherboard support would cause memory errors. To be honest I just don't know if that is true or not.

You might want to start a new thread asking if an unsupported CPU with an integrated memory controller could cause memtest errors. I would do that and hopefully someone who has encountered the problem before can tell you before you buy a board. I think it could but just don't know for sure.

If you do buy a new motherboard this one seems to work great with the 960T.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
January 8, 2012 5:00:58 AM

anort3 said:
Memtest was giving you memory errors? I am pretty sure memtest errors would just mean bad memory and have nothing to do with the CPU.

The 960T does have an integrated memory controller though so maybe that with the lack of motherboard support would cause memory errors. To be honest I just don't know if that is true or not.

You might want to start a new thread asking if an unsupported CPU with an integrated memory controller could cause memtest errors. I would do that and hopefully someone who has encountered the problem before can tell you before you buy a board. I think it could but just don't know for sure.

If you do buy a new motherboard this one seems to work great with the 960T.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I just finished running MEMTEST again with my old CPU and got no errors at all. I think it probably had something to do with the CPU.

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll look into it more, but, to widen the selection, I'll post a thread in the motherboard thread.
m
l
a c 227 à CPUs
a c 255 U Graphics card
January 8, 2012 5:05:07 AM

Ok if memtest was succesful with the old CPU then I am about 99% it failed on the 960T because the chip is not supported and has an integrated memory controller. Time for a new motherboard.
m
l
!