Upgrading CPU - Completely Lost!

sephorian

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Hey guys,

I've recently decided I want to upgrade my CPU to probably a quad core. I've spoken to a few friends about it and they all agree that it's probably in my best interest to upgrade my motherboard as well as it's quite old and would be more beneficial in the long run. I understand that, but I would really just prefer to leave the motherboard as is if possible. I have an OEM version of Windows 7 and would rather not have to buy another copy & this would be more of a luxury upgrade than a necessary one so for those reasons it's just not worth bothering to upgrade. That being said, surely there is a quad core CPU that's compatible with my motherboard, that would show a noticeable increase in performance to my current AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core (I'd like to think so anyway!)

Here is a list of compatible CPUs: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2/M2NSLI/#CPUS

Of all the CPUs on that list - which is the best? (I'm a gamer if that helps make a decision.)

I have asked this question on a couple other forums, but the answers have been really vague so I guess I'm looking for as much information on the topic as possible as I'm quite in the dark when it comes to CPUs!

My PC:

ASUS m2n SLI mobo
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core CPU
GTX 560 GFX Card
8gb RAM
Windows 7 64bit

I'm just looking for a compatible CPU with my current motherboard that would be a worthwhile and noticeable upgrade. If it happens to be that it's not worth it to me to upgrade then so be it, I won't bother. As I mentioned earlier, it's really more a case of friends informing me that my CPU is bottle-necking my system and trying to remedy that.

Any extra information would be appreciated, thanks!

As for the OEM version of Win 7 you don't need to worry about buying another copy. As long as the motherboard remains the same you generally do not need to worry about reinstalling Win 7.

Also, if you meed to reinstall for whatever reason all you have to do is call Microsoft to release your key so that you can reinstall Win 7.

sephorian

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah that's the point I was trying to get across, that I would rather not change the motherboard because I would have to get a new copy of Windows 7.

Thanks for all the responses, this was exactly what I was looking for.

I can't seem to find any places online with any in stock but I'll keep looking - can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

sephorian

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
Hey again,

Sorry for the double post but I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how to update the BIOS. I did a bit of google'ing and it seems like there's a few different methods but they all stress how important not messing it up is so I want to be 100% sure before I do anything.

I've downloaded the .BIN file from the ASUS website, and I'm *guessing* I just burn that to a CD and change my BIOS to boot from CD on next restart?

There's a program called ASUS Update which I've been told to steer clear of as it's caused problems in the past.

Any help on the issue would be appreciated thanks!

(Still looking for a retailer that has any in stock as well so this may all be a waste of time, hah!)

You only want to flash the BIOS when you really have to such as CPU upgrade compatibility or if you're having some sort of serious problem like flaky BIOS. You should read as much as possible and if you have your motherboard manual read it. There should be a section dedicated to flashing the BIOS. The main thing is when you flash the BIOS you don't want to mess with the computer while it's doing its thing, LEAVE IT BE! Also make sure all power cables are secure if the power goes out during the BIOS update it could corrupt the BIOS leaving you with a useless motherboard that is screwed up.