Sign in with
Your question

Question about ram

Last response: in Motherboards
November 1, 2012 10:56:13 AM

ok i got these rams nearly for free - APACER DDR2-667 2G DIMM CL5 128*8 ROHS
But the problem is my mother board. P5vdc-Mx can only run on 533 frequency and when i use those rams system uses only half and becomes unstable (bunch of bsod's and restarts) is there any way to fuly use those rams on this motherboard (i dont realy care about frequency) ? Should i upgrade my motherboard (i dont wanna throw away these rams) ?

And yes my computer is old. And no, i cant affor to buy new pc.

More about : question ram

a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2012 11:10:07 AM

Technically the should ram at 533MHz, however frequency is not all -- you have to check voltage too!

Also you can´t use DDR and DDR2 memory at the same time -- are you mixing the ram with another one?

It´d be very unwise to upgrade a motherboard just to match the ram -- a motherboard is a lot more expensive than ram.

Your motherboard supports:
2 x 240-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 2GB DDR2 533/400 non-ECC, unbuffered memory
2 x 184-pin DIMM Sockets support max. 2GB DDR 400/333/266 non-ECC, unbuffered memory

November 1, 2012 11:30:33 AM

Can you tell me more about voltage ?

No, im not mxing ram. If i put new ram alone pc wont boot at all.

And yea i guess upgrading motherboard would be stupid :D 
Related resources
November 1, 2012 3:19:07 PM

well it seems my current rams are runing at 1.80 Voltage. Ithink it should be enought for never ones. Strange think i noticed that curent ones are runing on 266 frequency, but i dont thin that important.
a b V Motherboard
November 1, 2012 4:36:05 PM

Yes, they are important, specially if your motherboard is not designed for such a high voltage.

As you have been having issues (BSOD and restarts), then you should not be using this ram in your system.

Use the previous ram that had no such issues, or use memories that are in the motherboard qualified vendor list http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5VDC-MX/...

November 1, 2012 4:50:00 PM

Thanks for your help.
!