DC Scud Racer - Super GT demo pictures!

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast,alt.games.powervr (More info?)

many of you remember that a short demo of Sega's Model 3 racing game,
Scud Racer aka Super GT, was made for the Katana (Dreamcast)
development kits in late 1997 or early 1998.

The Scud Race / Super GT demo was produced on *something* LESS than
final Dreamcast hardware. This development-kit-only demo is running on
PowerVR ARC-1, the prototype and arcade version of PowerVR2, which is
weaker, slower, and has less features than the PowerVR2DC, aka PowerVR
CLX2, used in Dreamcast.

so here it is:

http://jollyrogerdev.ath.cx/Set2_1/Images/Set2_Test2_t.jpg
http://jollyrogerdev.ath.cx/Set2_1/Images/Set2_Test3_t.jpg
http://jollyrogerdev.ath.cx/Set2_1/Images/Set2_Test4_t.jpg
http://jollyrogerdev.ath.cx/Set2_1/Images/Set2_Test5_t.jpg
http://jollyrogerdev.ath.cx/Set2_1/Images/Set2_Test6_t.jpg
http://jollyrogerdev.ath.cx/Set2_1/Images/Set2_Test7_t.jpg

source: http://jollyrogerdev.ath.cx/Set2_1/Set2_1.html

So is the Katana/Dreamcast demo version of Scud Race / Super GT on par
with the Model 3 arcade version? no, not really, because it is so
incomplete. but it was running at 60fps, the same framerate as the
arcade, and the same resolution too. keep in mind, the
Katana/Dreamcast development kit it's running off of had something
like 50% of the power/speed of the final Dreamcast, with less hardware
graphics features too.

the most impressive thing is, the demo was put together in a matter of
weeks, iirc.

can you imagine if Sega had spent all of 1998 and a good part of 1999
porting the entire arcade game to the final Dreamcast hardware? Scud
Race / Super GT could have been made very close to the arcade, much
closer than the rush job that was Sega Rally 2. I'd say a Dreamcast
version of Scud Race / Super GT could have been at least as close to
the Model 3 version as Virtua On 2 (VOOT) on Dreamcast (like 90%) if
not closer. Virtua On 2 arcade was a Model 3 Step 2 game, whereas Scud
Race / Super GT arcade was on one of the older Model 3 boards.

what a shame Sega didn't complete and release Scud Racer / Super GT
for Dreamcast :/

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast,alt.games.powervr (More info?)

> many of you remember that a short demo of Sega's Model 3 racing game,
> Scud Racer aka Super GT, was made for the Katana (Dreamcast)
> development kits in late 1997 or early 1998.

Man, I really wish that game would have made it to the DC. It's still one
of the few games I go back to the local GameWorks and drool over...

> The Scud Race / Super GT demo was produced on *something* LESS than
> final Dreamcast hardware. This development-kit-only demo is running on
> PowerVR ARC-1, the prototype and arcade version of PowerVR2, which is
> weaker, slower, and has less features than the PowerVR2DC, aka PowerVR
> CLX2, used in Dreamcast.
>
> so here it is:
>
> http://jollyrogerdev.ath.cx/Set2_1/Images/Set2_Test2_t.jpg
> http://jollyrogerdev.ath.cx/Set2_1/Images/Set2_Test3_t.jpg
> http://jollyrogerdev.ath.cx/Set2_1/Images/Set2_Test4_t.jpg
> http://jollyrogerdev.ath.cx/Set2_1/Images/Set2_Test5_t.jpg
> http://jollyrogerdev.ath.cx/Set2_1/Images/Set2_Test6_t.jpg
> http://jollyrogerdev.ath.cx/Set2_1/Images/Set2_Test7_t.jpg
>
> source: http://jollyrogerdev.ath.cx/Set2_1/Set2_1.html

Goddamn...been downloading this page for the last 15 minutes...what kind
of bandwidth plan is this place on? ;) Still trying to get the
videos...though none have started downloading yet... :(

> So is the Katana/Dreamcast demo version of Scud Race / Super GT on par
> with the Model 3 arcade version? no, not really, because it is so
> incomplete. but it was running at 60fps, the same framerate as the
> arcade, and the same resolution too. keep in mind, the
> Katana/Dreamcast development kit it's running off of had something
> like 50% of the power/speed of the final Dreamcast, with less hardware
> graphics features too.
>
> the most impressive thing is, the demo was put together in a matter of
> weeks, iirc.

That's incredible.

> can you imagine if Sega had spent all of 1998 and a good part of 1999
> porting the entire arcade game to the final Dreamcast hardware? Scud
> Race / Super GT could have been made very close to the arcade, much
> closer than the rush job that was Sega Rally 2. I'd say a Dreamcast
> version of Scud Race / Super GT could have been at least as close to
> the Model 3 version as Virtua On 2 (VOOT) on Dreamcast (like 90%) if
> not closer. Virtua On 2 arcade was a Model 3 Step 2 game, whereas Scud
> Race / Super GT arcade was on one of the older Model 3 boards.
>
> what a shame Sega didn't complete and release Scud Racer / Super GT
> for Dreamcast :/

I agree. I really wish we could not only have had Super GT, but Super GT
that was online playable...and with a few extra tracks...

Bel

--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
or http://users2.ev1.net/~belpowerslave/

"We'll meet again...in Hell."
- Cobra, The Space Adventure

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast,alt.games.powervr (More info?)

> what a shame Sega didn't complete and release Scud Racer / Super GT
> for Dreamcast :/

The demo was coded by core design...

Anyways http://www.assemblergames.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1170

There you can find all the info about this along with lots of other
info around the forum...

Also All thank jollyrogerdev for taking this time to run these on his
dev kit.

Thanks

Paulo

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast,alt.games.powervr (More info?)

> > what a shame Sega didn't complete and release Scud Racer / Super GT
> > for Dreamcast :/
>
> The demo was coded by core design...

*The* Core Design...as in Tomb-Raider-1-Core-Design?

> Anyways http://www.assemblergames.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1170
>
> There you can find all the info about this along with lots of other
> info around the forum...
>
> Also All thank jollyrogerdev for taking this time to run these on his
> dev kit.

Indeed, much thanks. :) Hell, the most interesting thing to come across
RGVS in quite some time was the Propellor Arena chat...and I wasn't even
really too interested in that. This and the 32X stuff have been checking
RGVS every 10 minutes. :)

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
or http://users2.ev1.net/~belpowerslave/

"We'll meet again...in Hell."
- Cobra, The Space Adventure

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast,alt.games.powervr (More info?)

> Indeed, much thanks. :) Hell, the most interesting thing to come
across
> RGVS in quite some time was the Propellor Arena chat...and I wasn't
even
> really too interested in that. This and the 32X stuff have been
checking
> RGVS every 10 minutes. :)
>
> Bel

I hang around assembler forums allot (as u can tell by my post count)
but erm
i haven't heard it been called RGVS before.... care to fill me in on
what it stands for?

Anyways yeah the forum has allot of info around and some great
interesting chats,
to this day were seeing new dreamcast discoveries mostly made by Bert
who runs
www.dreamcastgallery.com

Thnx
Paulo

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast,alt.games.powervr (More info?)

> > Indeed, much thanks. :) Hell, the most interesting thing to come
> across
> > RGVS in quite some time was the Propellor Arena chat...and I wasn't
> even
> > really too interested in that. This and the 32X stuff have been
> checking
> > RGVS every 10 minutes. :)
> >
> > Bel
>
> I hang around assembler forums allot (as u can tell by my post count)
> but erm
> i haven't heard it been called RGVS before.... care to fill me in on
> what it stands for?

Rec.Games.Video.Sega, the group you are in now. :)

> Anyways yeah the forum has allot of info around and some great
> interesting chats,
> to this day were seeing new dreamcast discoveries mostly made by Bert
> who runs
> www.dreamcastgallery.com

Very hip stuff. Feel free to post what you find over ther for those of us
who mainly stick to RGVS. :)

Bel

--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
or http://users2.ev1.net/~belpowerslave/

"We'll meet again...in Hell."
- Cobra, The Space Adventure

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast,alt.games.powervr (More info?)

> Goddamn...been downloading this page for the last 15 minutes...what
kind
> of bandwidth plan is this place on? ;) Still trying to get the
> videos...though none have started downloading yet... :(

IM asking him if i can mirror it on some other space not sure yet
however i dont want
to see people creating mirrors of things as it doesn't have an image
stamp on it... This video
has not before been seen so its kinda sad...

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast,alt.games.powervr (More info?)

> > Goddamn...been downloading this page for the last 15 minutes...what
> kind
> > of bandwidth plan is this place on? ;) Still trying to get the
> > videos...though none have started downloading yet... :(
>
> IM asking him if i can mirror it on some other space not sure yet
> however i dont want
> to see people creating mirrors of things as it doesn't have an image
> stamp on it... This video
> has not before been seen so its kinda sad...

I actually got one of the videos to start so far, it's going at around 1k
per three minutes so it may take *just* a while to see it, or all three.
I've got the time though...hell, I've got nothing but time...;)

Bel
--
Whip Ass Gaming: http://www.whipassgaming.com/
or http://users2.ev1.net/~belpowerslave/

"We'll meet again...in Hell."
- Cobra, The Space Adventure

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast,alt.games.powervr (More info?)

> Rec.Games.Video.Sega, the group you are in now. :)

Sorry im half asleep i did realise after this is been crossposted...
(i was one who first did it even!)

haha nah i dont hang around there just the dreamcast newsgroup.

> > Anyways yeah the forum has allot of info around and some great
> > interesting chats,
> > to this day were seeing new dreamcast discoveries mostly made by
Bert
> > who runs
> > www.dreamcastgallery.com
>
> Very hip stuff. Feel free to post what you find over ther for those
of us
> who mainly stick to RGVS. :)
>
> Bel

Well ill try but your best bet is to join us on the assembler forum
just go there right now
and check the general forum (you dont have to join to post) and see
how much info
there is around... Im sure you wont be disappointed and you will get
more then i can post
around these days. Also go back and find the prop arena info file that
came with the ISO and
you will see many of the assembler members paid for, ripped, and
distributed the game...

Paulo

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast,alt.games.powervr (More info?)

> > Rec.Games.Video.Sega, the group you are in now. :)
>
> Sorry im half asleep i did realise after this is been crossposted...
> (i was one who first did it even!)

Hehehe, no problem, I was half-drunk, here at work, when I replied. ;)

> haha nah i dont hang around there just the dreamcast newsgroup.

Ah, well, you ought to pop into RGVS when you get a chance. :)

> > Very hip stuff. Feel free to post what you find over ther for those
> of us
> > who mainly stick to RGVS. :)
> >
> > Bel
>
> Well ill try but your best bet is to join us on the assembler forum
> just go there right now
> and check the general forum (you dont have to join to post) and see
> how much info
> there is around... Im sure you wont be disappointed and you will get
> more then i can post
> around these days. Also go back and find the prop arena info file that
> came with the ISO and
> you will see many of the assembler members paid for, ripped, and
> distributed the game...
>
> Paulo

Hmmmmm, I have the ISO of the game, but no info file. The game, to me,
without online capability isn't really that great...but I may just jump in
and see if it's readily available, might have some interesting info. :)

Bel