Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on new CPU: AMD 1090t vs 970

Last response: in CPUs
January 7, 2012 9:49:35 PM

So I currently have a phenom ii x2 550BE that is being overclocked to 3.8Ghz. I recently bought the HD 6950 GPU and am looking to mostly play BF3 and some MW3 and SC2. But even with the GPU upgrade, BF3 is unplayable. I know my CPU is not be ideal for BF3 since it is dual core, so I tried unlocking the "dead" cores. But even at 3.0Ghz along with increased voltage, it is unstable and will crash after a couple minutes of BF3 (even though it runs much much better). So now I am looking for a new CPU and I have come down to these two:

Phenom II x4 970 BE

or

Phenom II x6 1090t BE

I keep reading that the quadcore is better for gaming and stuff but I am looking in the long run when games might require 6 cores later on. I am looking to keep this rig running for atleast another year (hopefully 2 years) without having to upgrade. I know I should be looking at the new Bulldozer CPUs but my gigabyte mobo is not compatible with AM3+ sockets. Let me know what you think?
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2012 10:11:17 PM

If you're going to do the upgrade, go for the best, the x6. Get it fast though, they are disappearing quickly.
m
l
January 7, 2012 10:50:08 PM

Either one will do you fine but if you are betting that games will need six cores by the time of your next upgrade then get the 1090T.
m
l
Related resources
January 7, 2012 10:54:53 PM

This may be a stupid question but does anyone know if any developers are working to develop games utilizing six cores? From what I've read so far, BF3 is one of the few games that actually use 4 cores.

And you're right abekl, it's getting more difficult to find the x6 CPUs. Thanks for all the input!
m
l
January 7, 2012 10:57:57 PM

Honestly, if current game developing tends continue then probably not since games are being more developed for the console and then ported to the PC.
m
l
!