Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I5-2400/ASRock Mobo "INVALID CPU TYPE OR SPEED" error

Last response: in CPUs
January 7, 2012 10:12:44 PM

I completed my build, had everything plugged in correctly etc. Computer boots for 1-2 seconds, won't even get to POST, and the computer shuts off. There is no beep from the motherboard, and the system continues to try and boot until I cut the power.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 LGA1155
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

The debugger code on the motherboard displays the error: "invalid CPU type or speed." Given that this is a new, modern motherboard with a socket that is most certainly compatible with the CPU, is this a motherboard issue or a CPU issue? What is the best fix?

I have installed the CPU twice and triple and quadruple checked all cables and connections, and this error is the only thing that's shown up so far (then again, booting doesn't get far past that).
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2012 10:19:55 PM

Any bent CPU pins on the motherboard? Can you get into the BIOS?
January 7, 2012 10:24:46 PM

No bent pins on the motherboard, nothing obstructing the socket that I can see. I cannot get into the BIOS since it won't even POST.
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2012 10:31:05 PM

If it's more than 30 days old contact ASRock for an RMA. Intel will require you to test on more than 1 motherboard before they'll allow RMA. If you're still within 30-days, contact the reseller for replacement of 1 or both items.
January 27, 2012 11:15:28 PM

Best answer selected by belgianroffles.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2012 9:11:46 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!