Sign in with
Your question

ATX 12v Power Connector Question

Last response: in Motherboards
November 1, 2012 2:24:09 PM

Hi,
I am working on my new build, this is a general info question.

What is the purpose of the 8 pin ATX 12v Power Connector plug-in at the top of my mobo (noob question). I assume it's some sort of auxiliary power? Also, my psu is semi-modular and the cable for this is just barely long enough to reach if I stretch it across the mobo, is there an extension cable I can buy so I can route it through the back?

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />

The only think my manual says about it is this...

thanks all,

Miles
November 1, 2012 2:34:28 PM

I assume this will work?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7562/cab-114/12_8_Pin...

However, as I'm learning my way through this I'm still curious why my mobo has both 20+4 power connector as well as 8 pin... would love an explanation, or point me in the right direction...

thanks again.

BTW, if it weren't for TomsHardware I would have never decided to build my own computer... I'm incredibly grateful for all of you, especially for whoever it was I saw one on here that has the tag in their signature that says "there's absolutely no reason you can't build your own computer."

m
l
November 1, 2012 2:36:58 PM

OK, so I'm answering my own questions. Just read on enthusiast PC that the 8pin eps connector is for the CPU while the 20+4 connector is basically for the rest of the mobo. If this is wrong let me know, otherwise I think I just answered my own question.
m
l
September 27, 2013 9:19:31 AM

This may be a year later, but yes, you are correct in what those connectors are for. The 8 pin is for the CPU and the 20+4 is the bulk of the other motherboard items.
m
l
!