Sign in with
Your question

Looking to swap out MSI 560Ti Twin Frozr

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 7, 2011 5:33:05 AM

I was looking forward to getting an up to date high end NVidia card for my new build, but I realized after I got it installed that the feature I was most interested in utilizing - showing full screen video on a separate display - is no longer available. I've been very impressed with NVidia's capabilities since I first used one of their onboard cards/chip on a stock PC I bought back in 2003.
But aside from showing full screen video on a separate display, my main concern is high performance and consistency, which is why I figured NVidia was an obvious choice. But I can't justify making such an investment without this feature, which I hear is available with AMD's cards.
Like I said I want quality and consistency when gaming on near max settings.. I'm not a die-hard and won't be running my card maxed out for hours on end but I don't want to worry about lagging or any of that garbage when playing a game or editing video when using near max settings.
So I'm looking to pick up either SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity or HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity at a local computer center.
I can't assume I'll be giving up any performance at this price but I just need some reassurance because I know more reviews are in favor of NVidia, but I absolutely need to be able to send full screen video to my 46" LCD.
I have a Corsair HX650W so I know whatever I get will be properly powered, and I don't really plan on running the card on Crossfire/SLI.
What would you do?
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2011 4:42:20 PM

Why can't you have full screen video on a separate display?

You know more reviews are in favor of Nvidia? HUH?
m
l
August 7, 2011 4:50:14 PM

Heyyy thanks for answering my question bud... Anyone else want to give it a shot??

Basically, I -can- have full screen video but I would have to drag and drop the player to the TV and maximize it, whether it be Media Player, YouTube, etc.. I'd rather have the ability to open the video on my main display, minimize the player so it's out of the way, and have the full screen showing on my TV. That's what the older NVidias used to do, and now they don't
m
l
Related resources
August 11, 2011 2:23:07 AM

I gotta say I appreciate all the input, the responses are just so overwhelming.. Seriously I figured an important question about such a new device would spark some feedback, but after having to look elsewhere for help I got half of my question answered..
The other half is this.. I've got the card picked out, but I'd like to hear from some people who own the HD 6950.. I hear NVidia has the upper hand on drivers - are you satisfied with the drivers that you are using with AMD? Also I'd like some reassurance that AMD does in fact have the full screen video on a separate display feature. As long as I can browse and play my movies from my main monitor and have them display full screen on my 46" LCD, I'll be happy.
Awaiting your response.....
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
August 11, 2011 2:37:07 AM

For HD video playback, AMD has had the advantage. However, the problem you are having sounds more like software and not hardware. You might try other software suites to display the video.

You don't see a lot of feed back because most of us don't have any experience with what you are wanting to do.
m
l
August 11, 2011 4:06:16 AM

All I know is the nvidia control panel is where I would go to select "show full screen video on this display:" and choose my TV.. that was with the nvidia geforce fx 5200 that I had back in 2004. And now, same control panel, minus that 1 feature, so I doubt its a software issue
m
l
August 13, 2011 1:10:45 AM

ANY HD 6950 OWNERS OUT THERE WHO CAN GIVE ME CONFIRMATION THAT I CAN FIND WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR WITH THIS CARD??? I DON'T THINK I CAN MAKE IT ANY CLEARER - BROWSE MOVIES, YOUTUBE, ETC FROM MAIN DISPLAY; HAVE THE FULL SCREEN VIDEO AUTOMATICALLY APPEAR ON MY SECONDARY DISPLAY - 46" LCD
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
a c 80 Î Nvidia
August 13, 2011 1:19:51 AM

I seem to be able to use the Nvidia card like you wish with the current drivers. Open up the Nvidia control panel, under the display menu, choose "View HDCP status", then you can select which monitor to watch movies on.
m
l
!