Dual-Channel vs. Tri-Channel

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Ok, so here is a weird question.

I was able to score a free Tri-Channel RAM kit (3 x 4GB) for like $20.00

My question is, if i look up the actual part number on Newegg (G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL) it shows as a Tri-Channel kit, but can i just use two of the 4GB sticks for Dual-Channel purposes in an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe motherboard? Or, is it just limited to Tri-Channel and instead it would not run in Dual-Channel mode.

Thanks in advance!

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Aye, that is what i figured, for dual-channel to be running, there can only be two sticks - plugged into the same color slots or 4 sticks that are all the same specs...

Thanks for the input fellas, easier to ask the community as opposed to trying to google and search when my work limits me on what websites i can search.

You will need the latest BIOS for the motherboard.

You can use three modules and maintain dual channel mode.

You can try adding another single module, but it is not fully guaranteed since it was not factory tested with your triple channel kit. Slight variations can cause incompatibility, or inability to operate the rated specifications.

Thank you
GSKILL TECH

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
G.Skill guy! Thanks for the info, now that I know it may not work, what do you think the likelihood is if I use one stick from F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL (Tri-Channel Kit) and a single stick of F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL that it works? Just a ballpark %-age will suffice, if it is over 65%, I will buy it.

Or, perhaps you can send me a link to buy just one 4GB stick from the Tri-Channel kit i listed above :)

Or, you can send me one for free :) :)

Realistically, it's 50/50. We have not tested the two modules together, we do not know which chips are used, so we have no idea whether they can work together. It does not matter if you buy single module of tri-channel kit or just the single module, chances are still the same. The only way to find out is to buy and try. But if you do have compatibility problems, contact the G.Skill RMA dept. to see what they can do for you to have 4 modules working properly in your system.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT