Can I crossfire a 5770 with a 6770?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
So I built my rig about a year ago with a single ASUS Radeon 5770 with the intent on buying a second one around a year later becase I couldnt afford a crossfire solution at the time. Now it's time for me to get that second card but ASUS doesn't make that model any longer. So my question is this: If I buy a new ASUS Radeon 6770, will it crossfire with my existing ASUS Radeon 5770?

Solution
I tell you from personal experience: I buy a Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X two years ago. Recently i get to buy a Sapphire 6770 Vapor-X and try to crossfire them. It was all ok, both card were detected perfectly by the system and run togheter without any problem.
The only thing that scared me was that both cards go up to 80 - 85 °C playing Skyrim at full quality, but from what i read on the internet its fine, while doesnt reach the 100 °C.

Recomendation: Try to use crossfire as your last resource, the best thing to do is sell both cards and buy some Sapphire HD 7850 for near the same price. Or if you are pacient or can wait to gather more money i recomend you a 7870 or 7970 in the best case. Always remember, a good card must be accompanied...

marianomdq

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
I tell you from personal experience: I buy a Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X two years ago. Recently i get to buy a Sapphire 6770 Vapor-X and try to crossfire them. It was all ok, both card were detected perfectly by the system and run togheter without any problem.
The only thing that scared me was that both cards go up to 80 - 85 °C playing Skyrim at full quality, but from what i read on the internet its fine, while doesnt reach the 100 °C.

Recomendation: Try to use crossfire as your last resource, the best thing to do is sell both cards and buy some Sapphire HD 7850 for near the same price. Or if you are pacient or can wait to gather more money i recomend you a 7870 or 7970 in the best case. Always remember, a good card must be accompanied by powerfull cpu and lot of ram (8G - 16G) for proper performance.

Another recomendation: Even though the Vapor-X's are prepare for overclocking them, i dont recomend you that do that in crossfire mode. The temperatures may rise to much and harm your cards, only if you have a powerfull cooling system try it.

Solution

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for the advice! Though it was in August of last year that I had this dilema. I did end out buying a 6770 and running it in crossfire with my 5770 and it runs perfectly.

It's paired with an i7 920 oc to 4.0ghz, so theres no CPU bottleneck.

I went with the second card because it was cheaper for me since I had already had the 5770 for over a year, and it's worked wonders. I don't have any heat issues because the case I have has wonderful airflow with 6 fans (3 intake 3 exaust) and I can easily max out every game I play at 1080p.

marianomdq

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Excelent!!! Thats a good system you have there. I still have an i3 some there's some bottleneck in my system, buy hopefully i get some i7 soon.

I still have problems to cool it, if you have some scheme for a good cooling system to share that would be nice! I have my psu on the below front exausting the heat and a 80mm on the top bottom as an intake.

Saljen

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009

No scheme, just a case with good airflow. Cheap one too, they actually used it on one of the $2,500 Tom's builds a while back.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

Status
Not open for further replies.