Games crashing after upgrading my CPU

zrafferty

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I installed a AMD phenom II 960TBE as an upgrade from a athlon 64 X2 5k+,
now i can play all my game lag free all max settings but my games keep crashing every so often. i cannot figure out what the problem is what so ever.
the games never give out an error just comes up as stop responding
I was able to play the games at med to high with the athlon installed with lag

here is my specs
AMD Phenom II 960T(BE)200X15-3ghz
4gb ddr2-800mhz 6-6-6-18-24-2(ganged)
nvidia Geforce 450gts 1gb
Windows 7 ultimate 32bit SP1(Fresh install after upgrading)
Raidmax 630watt PSU

Any other info ill update with need any thought on the problem would be nice

Games that this problem is consisting on (Black Ops,Left 4 Dead 2,BattleField 3,BC2)

zrafferty

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Im running the asrock a770De+ whihc i upgraded the bios to 1.7 which is the newest.
i unlocked the cores after testing the cpu amnd then i ran prime95 with the other 2 cores enabled and it seems to be stble allowed it to run with blended settings for few hours.
right now i am currently using it with stock settings with 4 cores enabled ill try allowing prime to run on just the 4 cores instead off the 6

zrafferty

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
could it be possible that my procssor is now bottlnecking my gpu making the games crash?
the only other thing i could think of maybe my hard drive using 2 older 3gb/s sata drives in raid 0 for OS and a Western Digital scorpio for my games

zrafferty

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I Installed 64bit of windows 7 onto an old patra WD caviar and now games are maxing out no problems at all didnt do anything else different but my headset dont work on 64bit nor does my tuner so would pefer to stick with my 32bit instead of 64bit
anyone have any other ideas?
this motherboard does have a limitation of only using 3.28gb of my 4gb of ram under 32bit but no problems under 64bit but i was able to max out settings with the athlon installed too?

killersquirel11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
You could try removing everything not needed to game (tuner, headset, etc), and see if it still chokes, to verify that it is a problem with the core system. (Or you could hunt down the 64-bit drivers if they exist and be on your way).

Is there any pattern to the crashes?

zrafferty

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
i already have the bear minimum i guess im just stuck with 64bit and have to put more money in or look for some hacked drivers for my hardware thanks guys for the attemps though still open for any other ideas it will help

killersquirel11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Another random idea would be to turn on logging mode (if possible) for the games and see if you can't determine the root cause from that...

Also maybe try the gfx card/ram in different slots (idk if the computer will even boot while these are in different slots, but it's worth a shot)

I'm basically just shooting in the dark at this point...

zrafferty

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
well when some of the games crash it comes up as dx ran out of memory which im using all same hardware but cpu changed and games are doing it on lowest setting even would upgrading the cpu use more of my ram at all?
i installed 64bit windows 7 ultimate in it and works just funtional minus having driver problems. need 32bit for alot of my hardware and games!

zrafferty

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
well that seems to make it crash even sooner!
this is not making no sence whatsoever!
i know that the only difference from the athlon to phenom is that it has the memory controller on the chip would that cause any problems?
might be stuck having to downgrade to 64bit!