Advice on Upgrading Memory

TimCL

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hi

I have an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor running on this motherboard

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631

and this 4 GB of this memory

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

I am on Win 7 32 bit.

I want to upgrade to windows 7 64 bit and want to use at least 8 GB of memory.

Should I buy 2 more sticks of the same memory

or

buy new memory altogether.

I need some expert advice as which is the better option. Also naive in memory knowledge, so would really appreciate a Newegg link for purchase

Regards,

Solution
In theory, yes. In practice, results may vary even if you get same-model DIMMs.

That's why I am recommending aiming for 2x4GB (or 2x8GB) and consider the ability of using your previous RAM as a bonus if it works rather than plan your purchase on the assumption that you will be able to use all four DIMMs.

InvalidError

Titan
Since there is a possibility of running into problems with quad-DIMM configurations even under the best conditions, I would go with 2x4GB or 2x8GB.

If you are lucky, you end up with 12-20GB RAM. If you aren't lucky, at least you still have a net upgrade to 8-16GB.

8GB is enough for the vast majority of people. 16GB and up is mostly useful to multitasking nutcases like me or people who use programs that eat tons of RAM.

InvalidError

Titan
When using a single pair of DIMMs, almost any brand/model will work in just about any motherboard.

Where things get particularly dicey is when using quad double-sided DIMMs. Most motherboard manufacturers have very few if any 4x4GB kits in their QVL and even fewer 4x8GB kits.

InvalidError

Titan
In theory, yes. In practice, results may vary even if you get same-model DIMMs.

That's why I am recommending aiming for 2x4GB (or 2x8GB) and consider the ability of using your previous RAM as a bonus if it works rather than plan your purchase on the assumption that you will be able to use all four DIMMs.

Solution