Help, too many options!!!

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
April 9, 2005 8:02:50 PM

O.K. guys, I've read the reviews until I'm blue in the face and am no
further than when I started. Just too much to digest for the average user.

Anyhow, I'm no pro and only looking for a camera I can use on a casual
basis, i.e. take pictures of the family during events, vacation shots,
pictures of bike, etc. I'm looking for a camera that can perform well
indoor or out and under various lighting conditions. It has to be a point
and shoot and an auto mode is all that will ever be used (I'd just screw
things up worse).

I guess what I'm looking for is the best bang for the buck for a casual
user. Might one day make my own prints, but would do nothing larger than 8
X 10's.

Can y'all help narrow the field?

Thanks

More about : options

Anonymous
April 9, 2005 8:02:51 PM

"Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote in message
> O.K. guys, I've read the reviews until I'm blue in the face and am no
> further than when I started. Just too much to digest for the average
> user.
>
> Anyhow, I'm no pro and only looking for a camera I can use on a casual
> basis, i.e. take pictures of the family during events, vacation shots,
> pictures of bike, etc. I'm looking for a camera that can perform well
> indoor or out and under various lighting conditions. It has to be a point
> and shoot and an auto mode is all that will ever be used (I'd just screw
> things up worse).
>
> I guess what I'm looking for is the best bang for the buck for a casual
> user. Might one day make my own prints, but would do nothing larger than
> 8 X 10's.
>
> Can y'all help narrow the field?
>
> Thanks

Canon makes some nice P&S cameras, I have the A85 and I am quite happy with
it.
April 9, 2005 8:02:51 PM

Check the Canon A-series - the A85 and A95 are nice, with a bit of
extra manual control that'll be welcome in the future as you become
more adept. I've seen some awesome reviews of the Canon SD500, too
(although I've also seen some reviews that were substandard). The Canon
S60 and 70 can't be beat for compact semi-prosumer cameras. The A510
and A520 apparently suffer shot-to-shot because of the 2 batteries vs.
4, but take really nice outdoor (non-flash) pics. For that matter, a
basic Canon A400, Fuji A330/A340/A345 or Olympus D-560 are nice cheap 3
Mpixel pocket cameras that takes decent pics, and at less than $150 you
won't be crying the blues if you drop it into the lake - as long as you
can retrieve your memory card, that is.....

Good Luck!
ECM
April 9, 2005 9:29:58 PM

"Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote in

> Can y'all help narrow the field?

Honstly, you won't go wrong with anything from Olympus, Nikon, Canon, Fuji
or Sony. Set your price range, look at the models your local shop has in
that range, and pick teh one that suits you best.
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 7:57:36 PM

Thanks, this is the kind of response I'm looking for. I'll start looking at
the one's you've mentioned.

!