Is my Radeon 6870 2 GB getting bottleneck'd?

I just upgraded from a 4850 1 GB to a 6870 2 GB and I haven't seen a huge improvements. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of the card or maybe there's something bottlenecking it, hopefully someone here can help me out.

here's my specs
Motherboard - Pegatron IPIEL-LA3
CPU - Intel Core Quad Q9300 2.50 Ghz
PSU - Delta DPS 460 Watt
RAM - 6 GB DDR3
GPU - XFX Radeon 6870 2 GB (OC'ed to 950/1100)
4 answers Last reply
More about radeon 6870 bottleneck
  1. TroungPham93 said:
    I just upgraded from a 4850 1 GB to a 6870 2 GB and I haven't seen a huge improvements. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of the card or maybe there's something bottlenecking it, hopefully someone here can help me out.

here's my specs
    Motherboard - Pegatron IPIEL-LA3
    CPU - Intel Core Quad Q9300 2.50 Ghz
    PSU - Delta DPS 460 Watt
    RAM - 6 GB DDR3
    GPU - XFX Radeon 6870 2 GB (OC'ed to 950/1100)

I don't think the video card is bottlenecking. The 6800 video cards aren't top of the line but it's not like your pairing a I7 extreme with a Radeon 5770.
  2. Although I would not assume it would be noticeable, your CPU and your power supply may be the source of a bottleneck. You might consider getting a wattage meter that plugs into the wall and plugging your PC on top of it. If your are pulling more than 370 watts at load, then I would say it is a bottleneck, as 460 watts is a maximum.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001
  3. What game(s) are you playing?
  4. Yeah get a new PSU regardless I think you may be pushing your luck, give yourself a bit more leeway on it so you don't blow it out and have it take out other parts with it. Blew out 2 PSU's myself so far, first one when I tried to power on the system when I built it (just plain bad PSU), second one a year after (Thermaltake PSU if you want to know). So after those 2 experiences the PSU's I get are top of the line and I give myself ample room to expand to be on the safe side.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Bottleneck Radeon Product