Sign in with
Your question

CPU Upgrade help

Last response: in CPUs
January 8, 2012 2:41:13 AM

Hello, I plan on upgrading my current CPU in my PC. I have an HP computer that I have modified(New video card, power supply, added an SSD and bought my own case) I'm now looking to upgrade my CPU. The motherboard that the computer came with is a H-RS880-uATX (Aloe). I've read the upgrade information online and my CPU socket type is an AM3 and shows that I can upgrade to a AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core, which is the CPU I want. It currently has an Athlon II x4 CPU inside. So my question is if I buy a new CPU will I just be able to put in the new chip and run my PC, since the chip is supported or will I have to do something in my bios? I'm very new to CPU upgrading and could use all the help I can get. I know how to install the CPU, apply thermal paste and all that jaz. I'm just more concerned about the "after I install it" part. My bios is made by American Megatrends Inc and is currently running version 6.03. I have no clue if there is a new version at all.

More about : cpu upgrade

a b à CPUs
January 8, 2012 3:02:49 AM

You will probably just be able to install the CPU without doing a BIOS update. I just googled a bit and found a BIOS for your board that is version 6.09. If you want you could go through whatever HP's procedure is for updating the BIOS. I couldn't find a BIOS revision requirement on CPUs for that computer so you are probably fine doing it without the BIOS update.

But worst case, you would have to put your old CPU (including the cooler!) in and then do a BIOS update. Then you would put in your new chip. Like I said, if you want to just do the BIOS update now, here is a link but try and get the latest version, this is just from googling: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport...
January 8, 2012 3:25:21 AM

Wow! TYSM!! I have been trying to find that update. It even fixes an issue that i was noticing... "Resolves an issue with resuming from sleep mode on system configured with more than 4GB of memory" Okay So I'm going to download the newest version, the 6.0.9. Now all I need to do is just save up a little more cash and I can buy my new cpu. I had a feeling it was just going to be as easy as installing the chip itself but I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't really anything else to it. I actually have 2 more quick questions. When my upgrade information on my Mobo says can upgrade to a Phenom II X4 9xx does that mean I can use the AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6GHz Socket AM3 125W where the Xs in 9xx are the 7 and 5? And will I have to do any sort of driver updates after or before I install the chip. Ty again you have been a big help.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2012 3:37:49 AM

Yeah, "9xx" is just saying the 900 series and is all inclusive model wise. And depending on which Athlon II x4 you have, it might be a very incremental upgrade.

And there will be a driver update, but Windows will do it automatically and then make you reboot. I just installed my old x4 840 in my dad's computer replacing an Athlon II x2 and it did that on first boot after swapping them.
January 8, 2012 3:44:02 AM

ok sweet tysm. Well the Athlon I have is the 2.8Ghz version and the CPU I want to get runs at a default speed of 3.6GHz so in my eyes thats a decent upgrade. I mainly game and from what I'm reading the Phenom isnt bad. I don't have the $$ for a mobo upgrade and a CPU otherwise I would go intel for sure. This is the CPU I'm interested in buying http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2012 3:48:55 AM

Hmmmmm... I don't know. That is a newish CPU relative to those BIOS release dates. I saw this and it doesn't specifically list it, but I have no idea what this particular website or configuration is: http://www.estaxe.com/index.php/specifications-for-h-rs...

It doesn't list that CPU but maybe that is just erroneous info. Any way you can contact HP about it since their spec page is so vague? I know the 975 was released in Jan 2011 and since that 6.09 bios is like early 2010, I dunno. It is a 125w proc which your board says it supports but I'm not sure. Their documentation (like just about all oems) is pretty bad. I would contact them or hope someone else can be more definitive.

You can use something like Windows system info or preferably CPU-Z to "see" your new chip is installed and identified correctly. If you are planning to overclock just be advised that most oem machines don't have overclocking options in their BIOS.

Edit: My bad - cliffro mentioned the driver update, I didn't realize.
January 8, 2012 3:55:34 AM

Phenom II x4 isn't going to be that big of an upgrade over an Athlon II x4. If you can overclock on that board, I would just buy a decent cooler do that. If you can't, I would just save up some more money until you can replace both CPU and motherboard.
January 8, 2012 4:10:30 AM

Hmmm alright. I have CPU-z, Great tool. As well as GPU-z :D  Okay, so indeed I cannot overclock my cpu since my bios does not support that. So in my case you don't think upgrading my CPU will increase performance? Going from 2.8Ghz to 3.6GHz? I really won't be getting enough money anytime soon for a mobo+CPU upgrade so I'm looking for a cost effective alternative to increase performance and upgrading my CPU seemed like a good idea. Oh and if I were to upgrade my Mobo, I would have to buy a copy of windows wouldn't I? My Windows 7 x64 is currently installed on the HDD that came with the HP computer so I really doubt I can just plug in the HDD to a new Mobo and expect windows to run lol.
a c 117 à CPUs
January 8, 2012 4:39:51 AM

scubasteve526 said:
Hello, I plan on upgrading my current CPU in my PC. I have an HP computer that I have modified(New video card, power supply, added an SSD and bought my own case) I'm now looking to upgrade my CPU. The motherboard that the computer came with is a H-RS880-uATX (Aloe). I've read the upgrade information online and my CPU socket type is an AM3 and shows that I can upgrade to a AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core, which is the CPU I want. It currently has an Athlon II x4 CPU inside. So my question is if I buy a new CPU will I just be able to put in the new chip and run my PC, since the chip is supported or will I have to do something in my bios? I'm very new to CPU upgrading and could use all the help I can get. I know how to install the CPU, apply thermal paste and all that jaz. I'm just more concerned about the "after I install it" part. My bios is made by American Megatrends Inc and is currently running version 6.03. I have no clue if there is a new version at all.

Almost every cpu upgrade requires a bios upgrade and research on your part as to whether or not the board will support the cpu.
Personally i would upgrade the mobo to an aftermarket one that allows performance enhancements to your cpu and ram.
Buying a better cpu to use on a locked oem bios is counter productive imo.
January 8, 2012 4:43:02 AM

You'd probably have to format the hard drive and re-install windows, but there's no reason why you'd need to buy a new copy of windows.

Phenom II x4 at 3.6Ghz is going to be faster than Athlon II x4 2.8Ghz, but not spending over $100 faster. I think you're better off saving your money until you can do a proper upgrade.
January 8, 2012 6:25:42 AM

Okay well ty all for the input/help and are you sure I wouldn't need a new copy? My HP computer didn't come with any windows Disc. They wanted to charge extra at the store if they made a windows backup disc. I'm just confused as to how it would all go down if I buy a new mobo, which now I'm thinking about saving up for. I mean all my other parts are great imo. 650watt OCZ power supply, the Seagate 750gb HDD that the computer came with, OCZ 60gb SSD, a GTX 560ti 448 cores video card and the 4GB of kingston DDR3 ram that came with the computer(which I'm hoping I could take out and use on a new mobo?)
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2012 3:14:02 PM

hapkido said:
You'd probably have to format the hard drive and re-install windows, but there's no reason why you'd need to buy a new copy of windows.

Phenom II x4 at 3.6Ghz is going to be faster than Athlon II x4 2.8Ghz, but not spending over $100 faster. I think you're better off saving your money until you can do a proper upgrade.

It WILL NOT require a re-installation of Windows, I repeat, WILL NOT require a re-installation of Windows. If he is just upgrading the CPU, it will install a driver and tell him to reboot. The only way Windows would need to be reinstalled is if he replaces his motherboard.

And yes ScubaSteve, IF you decide to get another motherboard, your memory should work without issue.

January 8, 2012 4:25:47 PM

cliffro said:
The only way Windows would need to be reinstalled is if he replaces his motherboard.

I was responding to:
Quote:
Oh and if I were to upgrade my Mobo, I would have to buy a copy of windows wouldn't I? My Windows 7 x64 is currently installed on the HDD that came with the HP computer so I really doubt I can just plug in the HDD to a new Mobo and expect windows to run lol.

With:
Quote:
!