Your question

Megabit Technology

Tags:
  • Memory
  • DIMM
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Memory
November 2, 2012 3:56:29 AM

I'm a little confused about my motherboard manual, where it refers to the "Megabit Technology" of the DIMM used.
The MEMORY FAQ (please see before posting), here helped a little.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong; but, if a DIMM (perhaps SDRAM) has a 64MBx4 configuration, that's what the Memory Faq was referring to where it says, "Memory module bank".

See, I'm thinking of upgrading memory on a Jabil (Kadoka) Motherboard that has online specs, and they're written a little confusingly.

refers to a chart:
Megabit Technology Maximum Size DIMM
------------------ -----------------
8 Megabit 16 megabytes
16 Megabit 32 megabytes
32 Megabit 64 megabytes
64 Megabit 128 megabytes
128 Megabit 256 megabytes

and has:
DIMM sizes of 16-MB to 256-MB using 16, 32, or 128-megabit (Mb) technology
Note: The type of Megabit technology refers to the density of each DRAM chip located on the DIMM. For instance, each DRAM chip on a 128-Mb based DIMM is 16 megabytes (MB) in size. This motherboard will not accept DIMMS based on higher than 128 Mb technology

So the saying, "For instance, each DRAM chip on a 128-Mb based DIMM is 16 megabytes (MB) in size"...would be referring to a 16MBx8 module?

More about : megabit technology

a c 92 } Memory
a c 491 V Motherboard
November 2, 2012 6:04:36 AM

that a very old old mb. i would use crucial or some large ram vendor to see if they sill carried 128m and 256m dimms.
the issue is trying to find ram that that old and slow.
m
l
November 2, 2012 2:26:23 PM

That's ok, I've got 2 newer systems. This one's going to be my overclocking system, but I wanted to pass the clunky 362MB ram barrier I'm stuck at.

Do I just need to make sure 256M sticks are 2X128M, 4x64, 8x32, ...? (so that the second factor is less than or equal to 128M)
m
l
!