Vertical Green Lines O' Hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidus

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I was going to post my previous situation of which I posted and got help with a week ago. I decided instead to paraphrase it..

Basically my graphics kept failing, and when I updated NVIDIA drivers, I couldn't even get past windows password screen. It would just go to black. (then when, in safe mode, and I rolled back the drivers, it would run on the VGA)

As it turned out, upon doing a HD check/repair the problem vanished and I could successfully update the NVIDIA drivers. I was very happy.. until..

Out of the blue I start my PC after a nap (just 2hrs prior everything was perfect while even playing an MMO for many hours) and then I see swiggly-green lines dancing across my screen when I turned the PC on. When it gets to the windows-bar-loading (black background) it showed multiple square boxes and odd rectangular-grey faint ones covering the screen. Once in and past the windows sign in screen it then shows a repeated pattern of vertical green lines across the screen. (more so the higher the res) Upon going to the Device Manager it told me that my GPU is unable to connect (or not connected).

I changed the Mobo and the same situation persists, when I removed the Graphics Card, an 8800GT, and connected to the mobo analog graphics and the green lines were gone. Only it never actually finished loading I just shut it down after about 4 min in fear something by utilizing that connection might mess up more.

*So is this that my graphics card just went out? I am afraid to waste money, as I purchased a Mobo already and it only worked for a week, and money is tight atm.

Thank you for any help anyone can give, I am learning fast but am still so new to hands on.

Sidus

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Thank you for the input. If no one responds with alternate insight it seems I'll purchase a new G.Card soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.