New D70, old lens

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
April 9, 2005 4:30:31 PM

I'm about to purchase a new D70 and I notice
that I already have an fourteen year old lens
which apparently would fit onto the D70.
It was bought in 1991 along with a Nikon 6006
film camera.

The lens in question is an autofocus
Zoom-Nikkor 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5
which has a macro focusing function.

I don't see an equivalent lens on the current
list of Nikon lenses. Perhaps this is closest(?):
28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D AF Zoom-Nikkor
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&produc...

What can you tell me about any difficulties I might
encounter while trying to use this old lens
with a new, digital camera like the D70?

Luk

More about : d70 lens

April 9, 2005 8:33:03 PM

Should work.
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 9:38:36 PM

Should work fine.... will became a 50-150mm due to FOV factor of D70

Guy

luk wrote:
> I'm about to purchase a new D70 and I notice
> that I already have an fourteen year old lens
> which apparently would fit onto the D70.
> It was bought in 1991 along with a Nikon 6006
> film camera.
>
> The lens in question is an autofocus
> Zoom-Nikkor 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5
> which has a macro focusing function.
>
> I don't see an equivalent lens on the current
> list of Nikon lenses. Perhaps this is closest(?):
> 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D AF Zoom-Nikkor
> http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&produc...
>
> What can you tell me about any difficulties I might
> encounter while trying to use this old lens
> with a new, digital camera like the D70?
>
> Luk
April 9, 2005 10:50:27 PM

luk <luknofurther@comcast.net> writes:
> What can you tell me about any difficulties I might
> encounter while trying to use this old lens
> with a new, digital camera like the D70?

No focusing aid on the viewfinder screen, and no metering in the camera.
The camera only meters with AF and AI-P lenses.
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 1:31:37 AM

luk <luknofurther@comcast.net> writes:

> I'm about to purchase a new D70 and I notice
> that I already have an fourteen year old lens
> which apparently would fit onto the D70.
> It was bought in 1991 along with a Nikon 6006
> film camera.
>
> The lens in question is an autofocus
> Zoom-Nikkor 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5
> which has a macro focusing function.
>
> I don't see an equivalent lens on the current
> list of Nikon lenses. Perhaps this is closest(?):
> 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D AF Zoom-Nikkor
> http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&produc...
>
> What can you tell me about any difficulties I might
> encounter while trying to use this old lens
> with a new, digital camera like the D70?

According to all the specs, and people's reports, it should focus and
meter and function just fine. Due to the crop factor, your angle of
view will go from "normal" to "moderate telephoto", which is not a
useless range; but you'll probably wish for something wider
eventually.
April 10, 2005 1:59:30 AM

"luk" <luknofurther@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm about to purchase a new D70 and I notice
> that I already have an fourteen year old lens
> which apparently would fit onto the D70.
Well, it really isn't that old.
> It was bought in 1991 along with a Nikon 6006
> film camera.
>
> The lens in question is an autofocus
> Zoom-Nikkor 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5
> which has a macro focusing function.
It will work just fine.

> I don't see an equivalent lens on the current
> list of Nikon lenses. Perhaps this is closest(?):
> 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D AF Zoom-Nikkor
This is an improved version of the previous lens. The cost of changing
outweighs any possible improvement.
> http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&produc...
>
> What can you tell me about any difficulties I might
> encounter while trying to use this old lens
> with a new, digital camera like the D70?
None.
Jim
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 2:31:25 AM

Paul Rubin wrote:
> No focusing aid on the viewfinder screen, and no metering in the camera.
> The camera only meters with AF and AI-P lenses.

The old Nikon lens I have now is an autofocus one.
Thanks to everyone for the help.

I've read many complaints in this NG about
the inferior quality of kit lenses. But
selecting good lenses from the info offered
in catalogues seems difficult.

Luk
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 7:01:43 AM

>> luk wrote
> >>What can you tell me about any difficulties I might
>>>encounter while trying to use this old lens
>>>with a new, digital camera like the D70?
>
> Paul Rubin wrote:
>> No focusing aid on the viewfinder screen, and no metering in the camera.
>> The camera only meters with AF and AI-P lenses.
>
> The old Nikon lens I have now is an autofocus one.
> Thanks to everyone for the help.
>
> I've read many complaints in this NG about
> the inferior quality of kit lenses. But
> selecting good lenses from the info offered
> in catalogues seems difficult.
>
> Luk

Then you've been reading the wrong information. The Nikkor 18-70 lens that
is a part of the D70 kit is a GREAT lens. I use it extensively with my D2X
and the results are stunning.

Tom
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 12:43:56 PM

I'm using several lenses that I purchased in the 60's.
Of course no auto features, but they work fine.

JakeInHartsel

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 12:30:31 -0400, luk wrote:

> I'm about to purchase a new D70 and I notice
> that I already have an fourteen year old lens
> which apparently would fit onto the D70.
> It was bought in 1991 along with a Nikon 6006
> film camera.
>
> The lens in question is an autofocus
> Zoom-Nikkor 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5
> which has a macro focusing function.
>
> I don't see an equivalent lens on the current
> list of Nikon lenses. Perhaps this is closest(?):
> 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D AF Zoom-Nikkor
> http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&produc...
>
> What can you tell me about any difficulties I might
> encounter while trying to use this old lens
> with a new, digital camera like the D70?
>
> Luk
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:14:45 PM

Is it the AF or MF model ?

if it is the AF model , it should work just nicely with your D70.
if it is the MF model, you might not be able to read any metering on your
camera screen,
but the fact it was used with a N6006 / F601 ? ... it shud be an AF lens.

=bob=

"luk" <luknofurther@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm about to purchase a new D70 and I notice
> that I already have an fourteen year old lens
> which apparently would fit onto the D70.
> It was bought in 1991 along with a Nikon 6006
> film camera.
>
> The lens in question is an autofocus
> Zoom-Nikkor 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5
> which has a macro focusing function.
>
> I don't see an equivalent lens on the current
> list of Nikon lenses. Perhaps this is closest(?):
> 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D AF Zoom-Nikkor
> http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&produc...
>
> What can you tell me about any difficulties I might
> encounter while trying to use this old lens
> with a new, digital camera like the D70?
>
> Luk
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 6:01:45 PM

[BnH] wrote:
> Is it the AF or MF model ?
>
> if it is the AF model , it should work just nicely with your D70.
> if it is the MF model, you might not be able to read any metering on your
> camera screen,
> but the fact it was used with a N6006 / F601 ? ... it shud be an AF lens.

It's an AF lens. But let me be precise. The 1991
manual says:

"With the Nikon F4 series, F-801/N808,
F501/2020 or F401s/N4004s, autofocus
is possible."
The autofocus worked fine with my N6006 and
metering could be read through the 6006
viewfinder.

Luk
April 10, 2005 7:30:26 PM

luk wrote:
<snip>
> I've read many complaints in this NG about
> the inferior quality of kit lenses. But
> selecting good lenses from the info offered
> in catalogues seems difficult.

Don't believe everything you read. The 18-70EX IF ED lens supplied with
D70 "kit" will almost certainly be sharper, faster focusing, quieter,
lighter to carry, and a far more useful focal length range than the old
35-105.
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 7:30:27 PM

Frederick wrote:

> Don't believe everything you read. The 18-70EX IF ED lens supplied with
> D70 "kit" will almost certainly be sharper, faster focusing, quieter,
> lighter to carry, and a far more useful focal length range than the old
> 35-105.

According to the specs, you're correct about weight.
The kit lens is smaller and weighs less.

Minimum focus range is .38m in both lenses.

Can't tell from specs about the sharpness, speed and
whether it's quieter. (That's what's frustrating
about reading specs and catalogues - especially the
fact that sharpness is a mystery until you try out
the lens!)

However, the macro feature of my old 35-105 would
seem to be different if I'm interpreting the specs
correctly. With my old lens, the reproduction
ratio is 1:3.5. It's 1:6.2 on the new (D70 kit)
lens.

Luk
April 11, 2005 1:58:40 PM

luk wrote:

> Frederick wrote:
>
>> Don't believe everything you read. The 18-70EX IF ED lens supplied
>> with D70 "kit" will almost certainly be sharper, faster focusing,
>> quieter, lighter to carry, and a far more useful focal length range
>> than the old 35-105.
>

> According to the specs, you're correct about weight.
> The kit lens is smaller and weighs less.
>
> Minimum focus range is .38m in both lenses.
>
> Can't tell from specs about the sharpness, speed and
> whether it's quieter. (That's what's frustrating
> about reading specs and catalogues - especially the
> fact that sharpness is a mystery until you try out
> the lens!)
>
> However, the macro feature of my old 35-105 would
> seem to be different if I'm interpreting the specs
> correctly. With my old lens, the reproduction
> ratio is 1:3.5. It's 1:6.2 on the new (D70 kit)
> lens.
>
> Luk

You are right about the frustration of reading catalogues etc. I
suggest that you find a friendly camera shop who will allow you to fit
your 35-105 on a working D70 body - and spend some time comparing it
with the 18-70 kit lens.
The kit lens will probably be sharper - for a start it has ED glass
elements - the stuff that I couldn't afford at the time you bought your
35-105. The focal length range might suit you better - 18-70 gives you
equivalent of 28-105 on 35mm. (your 35-105 will give you similar to
50-150 on a D70 - and to get a decent lens other than the kit lens -
that will give you 28mm equivalent wide angle shooting is going to be
expensive).
But close focusing ability is not great with the 18-70. It's probably
the result of mechanical design limitations due to the lens being IF -
internal focus (I guess to focus closer but keep the lens IF, then the
lens would have had to be made as a much larger item). A small (~13mm)
extension tube does actually work with reasonable results on the 18-70
when set at focal lengths over about 50mm - if you don't mind manual
focus. Close up adapters are another alternative - but I bet you don't
have a spare set of 67mm adapters sitting in a drawer somewhere that you
can try out - to see what the result is like optically. For me, this
wasn't a problem, as I have an AF macro lens. However, I suspect that
this might be an issue for many people who bought the kit, then found
that to get reasonable close-up capability with the D70 was either going
to incur a significant extra cost, or a significant compromise.
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 6:10:06 PM

[BnH] <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote:
> Is it the AF or MF model ?
>
> if it is the AF model , it should work just nicely with your D70.
> if it is the MF model, you might not be able to read any metering on your
> camera screen,
> but the fact it was used with a N6006 / F601 ? ... it shud be an AF lens.
>
> =bob=

Since it is not a D lens, it will not support the matrix metering mode.
Not a huge deal.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse